Quick whistle when off gas

Jun 13, 2008
Kent
As the title sorta says above :p

This is probably nothing but I keep noticing it. Say I'm on the gas down the road, when I take my foot off, after about 2 seconds it makes a tiny whistle noise for half a second, now I'm a complete novice at engines so it's probably nothing, but would love to know what it is, thanks :D

ettlz

Sep 21, 2006
single point injection still got a carb on em take off the air box youll see it with the butterfly flapping around!

Isn't the 1.2 MPI? Even the entry level VAG engines from the late 1990's had one injector per cylinder. There's still a flappy intake valve in the throttle body, though.

it may be i cant remember to be honest havnt looked into it in depth, me and a friend looked at it and both came to the same conclusion it looks like a carb it sounds like one, it may not be one tho i dont no.........

anyways thats wats making the noise from what you describe anyways its just the rush of air as the butterfly opens and closes.............

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
it may be i cant remember to be honest havnt looked into it in depth, me and a friend looked at it and both came to the same conclusion it looks like a carb it sounds like one, it may not be one tho i dont no.........

anyways thats wats making the noise from what you describe anyways its just the rush of air as the butterfly opens and closes.............

I think all the 1.2 engines have muli point injection so the injectors are mounted directly to the inlet manifold.

Normally the single injector setups have 1 injector that pulses 4 times per crank cycle mounted into a throttle body and that is then mounted to the manifold.

Sort of like a carb but not a carb as the fuel is injected into the manifold rather than sucked through the carb in.

Last edited:

woza135

BEEZA OF LUST
Mar 16, 2008
Crawley W-Sussex
The flappy thing is the throttle body! My 1.4 formula sport makes a weird whistle kind of noise when off the throttle or on the throttle slightly sounds like the same thing..

anyone else have this with the 100bhp 1.4? or normal 1.4

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.