Radio turns itself on when parked..

BBZ 968

Help......Upon arriving home from work I noticed that the central console display was on and the radio was playing even though the car was locked up and had not been driven for a couple of days. So I unlocked the car with the plipper and turned the radio off by pushing in the volume control button.....fine.
However an hour later the radio had turned itself on again...and continues to do so despite my repeated daily unlocking the car and turning the radio off.
Soon the battery will die .

Has anyone come across this problem ? Any cure ? ....Please help :cry:

Cheers Shaun ( newby to this forum )

BBZ 968

have a search mate!! yes its a common fault...you can send it off to be repaired for £70 i recall or buy a new / second hand one

Thanks for the reply........Are you saying that the radio is faulty or is it the dodgy electrics?

Are there any forum threads on this subject....I have trawled through the posts but have not yet found a specific one. If it's a common fault there should be a / some previous threads.

BBZ 968

truCido...........Thanks for the info.

I have inserted a cassette tape and all is well for now. When i have time I will remove the HU unit by refering to the removal guide and send it to GTS for repair.

I am impressed with your speedy response and subsequent result. Thanks again.

Cheers Shaun

BBZ 968

More trouble...........I inserted a cassette and the problem went away overnight BUT come morning the battery was flat ( quite a new top of the range Halfords calcium ).

I had presumed that inserting a cassette moved the power supply away from the radio to the Tape player which was protected by the ignition unlike the radio which worked when the ignition was off. I must have been wrong about this.
I have recharged the battery and will restart the Ibiza tomorrow. I will remove the H/U unit soon and send it off to GTS for repair but will have to remove the fuse for the time being.
Does anyone know which fuse and where I can find it ......I hope it is one of the three green fuses in the box of tricks which sits on top of the battery....but knowing my luck it will be one burried in an inaccessable position under the dash or somewhere.

On reading the threads kindly provided by truCio it appears that this fuse also controlls the heating / ventilating .

Cheers Shaun

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
It'll be under the steering wheel, if you pull the plastic "tray" out the fuse box is just there. There will be a fuse box diagram on top of the tray thing, that should point you in the right direction!

BBZ 968

Thanks truCido.....I have refitted the recharged battery and put in a cassette but the radio still keeps coming on all by itself.
So I have pulled the blue fuse and now the radio is officially dead until I have the time to remove the H/U and send it off to GTS for repair.
As the fan now only operates on default I will refit the fuse when I use Ibby for a longer journey.

Thanks again for all your help. ( The cheque's in the post ! ) :rolleyes:

BBZ 968

After removing the H/U sucessfully I rang GTS to let them know about the repairs only to find out that they no longer do these repairs.
Aparently the operative who did this work has left GTS . spares are no longer available and they do not have any dealings with Seat Uk.

However a forum member ...Stevek has reccomended the following company who have done many such repairs @ £ 70.00 inc Vat and return carriage via. Citilink.

So my H/U is off to them tomorrow........

.Car Hi-Fi Services ltd
Unit 5 Croft Estate
Glasgow Road
Longcroft
Stirlingshire
FK4 1QP

Tel: 01324 841888 ( ask for Michael )

I will report back on their service later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.