Ran over wet paint in road, How do I remove paint splatter?

Jirwin

I want a fast car!
Jan 6, 2008
Swindon
Right, first not sure if this is really in right place so apologies if it isn't

Secondly ran over some wet white paint last night, saw it too late to avoid it completely and now I have white paint spray down one sill, up inside left wheel arches, round the outside of left front wheel arch, up front left door and somehow across my boot, tried wiping it off straight away last night but it was already drying.

How can I get it off without damaging existing paint work or am I looking at having to go to a pro? It was some kind of house hold dulux type paint judging by the tin lying there if that makes a difference!

Thanks in advance

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Might even be waterbased? Tar remover or white spirit, followed by a hot soapy wipe down,

Jimski

Jirwin

I want a fast car!
Jan 6, 2008
Swindon
I couldn't tell you what type of paint it is, didn't stop to look at tin and can't tell by looking! Its dried in little droplet like lumps, not very shiny.

I've got some tar remover in the boot so will give that a go tomorrow and then follow it up with clay. A bit worried about stuff thats on the sill though as its in the dimpled textured bit

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
To be fair, once its dried you may be able to pick off the paint with ur fingernail? Depends if you've got wax or polish on the car. Or use something like a old top up card to scrape/pick? I found this got overspray off very effectively, as id got wax/polish on my car so it hadnt properly adhered.

Jimski

Jirwin

I want a fast car!
Jan 6, 2008
Swindon
I picked a few of the bits off and they seemed to come away nicely, wasn't sure about going ahead and doing it all without advice first. There might still be a layer of wax there somewhere, did it before I went away but not sure how it will have lasted for a month

RickyD1975

Audi A6 2.0TDI 170 S-Line
Jan 2, 2008
North East
Use paint thinner on a clean cloth.

That's what I would use also, followed by a good wash and polish to re-seal the cars paintwork.

Good Luck. I know what kind of nightmare this can be as it happened to one of my friends mothers brand new BMW 318is back in 1995. I managed to sort it out luckily:D

Jirwin

I want a fast car!
Jan 6, 2008
Swindon
Well I've just managed to give it a quick once over for now with the jet wash and most of the paint along the sill and in the wheel arches peeled off in great sheets, the flecks up the door are gone as is the stuff on the boot. Not sure what I was worried about now i've seen how easily it comes off, just got some tiny white specks in the dimples along the rub strips, thinking I can just stick a pin in those and lift the paint off if its in too deep for a finger nail.

Having a car day tomorrow anyway, fitting my HIDs if they turn up and an LCR splitter (looking forward to seeing what they look like) so will be able to finish off the bits I missed and clay, polish/wax as required

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.