Rattling Engine

flyingmonkey

1999 2.0 16v SX 66K miles engine really starting to produce rattling from top of engine. Had a new water pump and alternator and no suggestions from a major service. Any ideas on known problems or recommend a decent garage for an engine overhaul in the south of england? Is it worth sticking on a rolling road?

myseatcupra

ibiza fr tdi
May 14, 2007
cardiff/penarth
there's an ali heat shield down the back of the engine. it might be that. mine rattles just get a hammer or something like that just to put some wieght on it and see if the noise goes

flyingmonkey

Many thanks ill get the hammer out and start looking around. It seems to be coming from under the rocker cover as well, its not excessive but just annoying!!

myseatcupra

ibiza fr tdi
May 14, 2007
cardiff/penarth
i think the 16v motor generaly rattles from the top end. as does mine. but i found that its made worse but the heat shield that seems to resonate making the sound worse. when i heard it i thought my tappets were on the way out

flyingmonkey

Been working away for a while, came back, car to garage; new water pump, alternator and Spax dampers all round and rattling sorted.

Good but expensive!

That'll be me walking everywhere to save money this month!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.