Real World MPG - post your figures

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
Yea it is nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing then full throttle. At least normal is more linear so you can be smoother. I tried eco and found myself using the kick down button and the end of the pedal travel all the time. Plus in eco the steering feels like a bag of sh!t compared to sport.

I now use sport with the sound actuator disabled.

gaffer1986

My Fuelly figure is the same as yours at 36.2. The computer gives 39.4.

I think my driving profile is the complete opposite of yours. My average speed over 2000 miles is 31mph and about 75% is on empty motorways cruising at 80mph. On a light footed 40mph run in light traffic the best I have seen is 56mpg on the computer.

My average speed Is between 7-10 mph, mainly town driving, interesting that we get the same mpg.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

gaffer1986

Yea it is nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing then full throttle. At least normal is more linear so you can be smoother. I tried eco and found myself using the kick down button and the end of the pedal travel all the time. Plus in eco the steering feels like a bag of sh!t compared to sport.

I find normal and eco mode are exactly the same, only difference is the car accelerates more gently on cruise control in eco mode. I really struggle with sport mode because the throttle is too sensitive and I end up over revving it and burning the clutch but it doesn't actually make the car any faster, just harder to get of the line quickly. These modes seem really pointless, the only good point is the steering feels nicer in sport. Maybe I'm just heavy handed and footed.

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
I find normal and eco mode are exactly the same, only difference is the car accelerates more gently on cruise control in eco mode. I really struggle with sport mode because the throttle is too sensitive and I end up over revving it and burning the clutch but it doesn't actually make the car any faster, just harder to get of the line quickly. These modes seem really pointless, the only good point is the steering feels nicer in sport. Maybe I'm just heavy handed and footed.

What I figure from what I've read is that the modes are vey dependent on diesel vs petrol and manual vs dsg.

AndyN

Feb 7, 2014
I actually prefer sport throttle and normal steering. The sport steering seems needlessly heavy for my driving style.

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
I find the standard steering on the SE really good - very light and easy to drive. Yesterday I drove my wife's car for the first time for about two months - I stopped and asked her to get out and see if we had a flat tyre - the steering felt so heavy after the Leon.

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014

How do you disable the sound actuator?

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
I find the standard steering on the SE really good - very light and easy to drive. Yesterday I drove my wife's car for the first time for about two months - I stopped and asked her to get out and see if we had a flat tyre - the steering felt so heavy after the Leon.

Was the steering any lighter once the wife got out Fred? :lol:

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
Be interesting once Cupra owners cars start turning up to see their real world mpg is. Had a go in one last week and that demonstrator was reading 27mpg long term, not too bad for a demo car. Managed 38mpg on a 10 mile run at 80mph after resetting it...

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
So I have been doing ridiculous motorway miles lately on empty flat motorways and decided to do some experiments to give me something to do. I wanted to look at the modes, speeds and cruise control.

Each test was 10 miles and I did each twice for an average.

First cruising speeds with cruise control on and mode in sport:

65mph - 66.4mpg
75mph - 64.2mpg

With mode in eco and cruise control on:

65mph - 66.6mpg
75mph - 63.8mpg

Here was the suprise: Back into sport and cruise control off:

65mph - 71mpg
75mph - 69.8mpg

Then into eco:

65mph - 67.2mpg
75mph - 64.8mpg

So as many of us have already said. Eco is a crock of **** on a manual diesel and the suprise is cruise control makes your ecconomy a fair bit worse.

madduffyx

Dec 21, 2009
So I have been doing ridiculous motorway miles lately on empty flat motorways and decided to do some experiments to give me something to do. I wanted to look at the modes, speeds and cruise control.

Each test was 10 miles and I did each twice for an average.

First cruising speeds with cruise control on and mode in sport:

65mph - 66.4mpg
75mph - 64.2mpg

With mode in eco and cruise control on:

65mph - 66.6mpg
75mph - 63.8mpg

Here was the suprise: Back into sport and cruise control off:

65mph - 71mpg
75mph - 69.8mpg

Then into eco:

65mph - 67.2mpg
75mph - 64.8mpg

So as many of us have already said. Eco is a crock of **** on a manual diesel and the suprise is cruise control makes your ecconomy a fair bit worse.

Doesn't surprise me at all Dean, I do a lot of driving around Yorkshrie and get far better fuel consumption when the car is in sports mode! With the constant hilly roads, the improved throttle response and power in sports modes mean I can just lightly use the accelerator up a hill, compared to eco mode where you either have to drop down or use the kick back!

Last edited:

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
This isn't just true of the diesel either. In my 1.8 I see much worse economy in eco mode (thought I was going crazy!). I usually see between 40-44 on motorway runs in sport mode, but this drops to between 36-39 in eco mode.

Stegor

Jul 17, 2011
This isn't just true of the diesel either. In my 1.8 I see much worse economy in eco mode (thought I was going crazy!). I usually see between 40-44 on motorway runs in sport mode, but this drops to between 36-39 in eco mode.

Yep, same here and cruise makes it worse!

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
At a constant speed on a flat motorway there is no reason why the driving mode would affect consumption at all. There are no gear changes and virtually no throttle changes so it is hardly surprising that the figures are so close as to be statistically insignificant.

Unless the runs were repeated in both directions even the effect of a light wind could account for such small differences.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.