Rear Fog light.

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
Hello all......just had my 2004 Toledo MOTd and it's failed on the rear fog light not working. Is this just a case of replacing a bulb ?
Strangely, the MOT tester has also put down "rear fog lamp switch inoperative"......how would he know this ?

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
Hello all......just had my 2004 Toledo MOTd and it's failed on the rear fog light not working. Is this just a case of replacing a bulb ?
Strangely, the MOT tester has also put down "rear fog lamp switch inoperative"......how would he know this ?
Actually, none of the foglights are working, front or rear.......does anyone know whether they are on a separate fuse to the rest of the lights ?

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
Well, I've found the fuse and it was blown. Put a new 15A fuse in and it blew instantly...... wondering if it could be the rotary headlight switch at fault........

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
Well, I've found the fuse and it was blown. Put a new 15A fuse in and it blew instantly...... wondering if it could be the rotary headlight switch at fault........
Its unlikly its the switch(but no impossble), but is a matter otrial and error, first did it pass ok last year? if so think what have you done since to do with lighting, if you cannot think of anything start at the fog light(s) take the bulbs out, I think you may mean the fuse als protect the fronts as well take those lamps out and if you have a multi meter check if you have a short, if not with the lamps out and replace the fuse and if it blows you need to look further, just one point if no lamps in you could put a smaller value fuse(but only for testing) and when you have done all that poss the switch so dissconnect it and see what happens and after that come back and let us have your findings

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
Damn !!!
I've just ordered a new switch.
I haven't touched the lights at all......all I've done is put a new battery on.
I'm no expert electrician so could you tell me how I test for a short please ?

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
Damn !!!
I've just ordered a new switch.
I haven't touched the lights at all......all I've done is put a new battery on.
I'm no expert electrician so could you tell me how I test for a short please ?
New battery should not cause it but if you have trapped a wire that would do it, but you did not say if you had a DMM! but if you have put it on OHMs and put on the lamp center terminal and earth and if there is a reading then there is a short

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
I do have a multimeter, but I have no idea how to get to the bulbs in the front fogs.

Attachments

• IMG_20210108_133243045.jpg
    IMG_20210108_133243045.jpg
    631.1 KB · Views: 124

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
Well, I've tried a brand new switch and it's made no difference.
All the rear bulbs and connectors are clean with no corrosion.
Do I have to access the front connectors from underneath the car ?

Attachments

• IMG_20210205_121652504.jpg
    IMG_20210205_121652504.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 107
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.