Rear seat upgrade

markirel

faster on 2-wheels
Apr 7, 2006
Midlands
Does anyone know or has anyone investigated if it is possible to retrofit the later rear sliding seats in an Altea Sport?

I used to have a Toledo V5 (great but thirsty) and the boot was cavernous. The Altea is clever with its tiered storage and cubby holes, and the access opening is better but I'm finding the size of the boot to be a bit of an issue. The sliding seats as fitted to later Altea's (mines a 54) should give an extra 40l capacity but I don't know if its possible to change and importantly how much it would cost.

markirel

faster on 2-wheels
Apr 7, 2006
Midlands
Thanks for this. I had a look through the old posts and it was Klawit who mentioned that rail kits are available in Austria and Germany for between 260 and 300 Euro. I'm at the dealer for the recall after Easter so I will se what can be offered in the UK (if anything at all).

If I can get an upgrade for £180ish I'll be well happy because I probably won't need to invest in roof rails and a roof box.

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
Hi,

hope that the following short summary of parts & numbers (from german catalog)will help you refit the sliding rearseats:

Left seat:
rail on the left
1K0 885,861 H
rail on the right
1K0 885,862 H
levers for adjustment
1K0 886,721 B

right seat:
rail on the left
1K0 885,861 J
rail on the right
1K0 885,862 J
levers for adjustment
1K0 886,722 B

No definite prices mentioned so far, but for orientation:
a similar rail for the Golf+ costs 39,30€ and a lever 16,45€ (tax not included)

Surprisingly, there is no difference reported in the part-catalog between "fixed" and "adjustable" rear seat.
So probably one might retool only the lever, as the "fixed" seat slides a little as well when the backrest is turned down.

Furthermore it's not taken into account what other small parts will be needed: various covers, buffer, screws etc. or whether you can re-use the old parts.

The costs for the whole retro-fitting are said to be somewhat around 250 € (should be approx. 170 pnds) ... no working costs (~ 2 hrs.) included.

Important: All the above infos were given to me by a friend from the german forum and there is no warranty on any partnumbers or the approx. prices.
He checked for me as far as I understood the threadstarters request. So no guarantee from my side.

greets .. Klaus

klawit

Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
IMPORTANT ... additional information:

My informant just told me, that he found out, that there seems to be a difference between the seat's backrests ... up till identno 5P-5-165 000 (my05) and then starting with 5P-6-000 001 (my06).
The backrests look like they are somewhat differently fixed to the seat, so he assumes, that the complete ability of sliding and adjusting is combined with the according backrest ...

So be careful .. you might need as well the
backrest (frame) for right backseat
..... 1K0 885 502 DA .... ~ 131€ (+tax)
backrest (frame) for left backseat
..... 1K0 885 501 BH .... ~ 165€ (+tax)

2 x left backrest-lock:................... 1K0 886 481 A
2 x spring for backrest-lock:........... 1K0 886 259 A
2 x blind rivet for backrest-lock:...... 1K0 885 667 C
2 x blind rivet:.............................. 1K0 885 667

... and keep an eye on the index!! ...

greets ... klaus

Last edited:

markirel

faster on 2-wheels
Apr 7, 2006
Midlands
Thanks Klaus, this is great information. Looks like its is getting expensive as mine is definately the my05. I'll still check with the dealer to see what they have to say. Thanks again.

klawit

Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
Hello everybody ... and especially markirel,

good news for retrofitting the rear seats, as much cheaper VW original parts (from Golf+) willl do the job as well ... :funk:

Sorry, that I won't be able to translate the technical terms in the instruction, that a member of the german forum posted there
=> http://www.seatforum.de/forum/showpost.php?p=170957&postcount=96

... but you'll find pictures and partno's and prices in there as well as the tools needed for mounting the slides, which can be easily done by yourself and will take no more time than approx. 45 Min.

here's just the parts:
lefthand side
1x 1K0 885 861 E
1x 1K0 885 862 E
1x 1K0 885 721 B
2x 1K0 886 935

righthand side
1X 1K0 885 861 D
1X 1K0 885 862 D
1X 1K0 885 722 B
2X 1K0 886 935

All in all the needed parts can be purchased for ~ 222 Euro (tax included).

Important:
Despite me former mentioning any backrests probably needed to be changed as well ... forget about that, there is no additional change in any other parts of the seat necessary, just the above mentioned.

Well, hope that there will be more of you over here catching the idea of retro fitting ...

Good luck ... Klaus

Last edited:

markirel

faster on 2-wheels
Apr 7, 2006
Midlands
klawit said:
Hello everybody ... and especially markirel

Hi Klaus, many thanks again for this post. I will be at the VW dealer tomorrow to order the parts. This is great news.

In the meantime I had to admit that my family is getting bigger and I had a towbar fitted . To redeem myself for having to cut my rear bumper I bought some new 17" wheels from the Leon Sport :D which are great.

Thanks again. Mark

markirel

faster on 2-wheels
Apr 7, 2006
Midlands
The VW Euro-Pound exchange rate is not favourable for us in blighty, so the parts cost £204.85 :-o
Should be well worth it when all fitted though!

markirel

faster on 2-wheels
Apr 7, 2006
Midlands
All done and fitted (thanks Klawit).

Really easy and intuitive, about 40 mins for both sides. Small screwdriver to pry-out caps at front of seat, 16 and 18 mm sockets to remove seats, 13 mm ring and 17 mm ring/open end to replace rails.

Tell

Staff member
Perhaps I better print this out... it would be nice to get a bigger boot to get more in, then I'm not too sure whether on the cross channel trips you can get more chocolates and bottles of wine stuffed in the passenger rear door wells and perhaps more protection than stuffing them in the boot. That's my complaint that I can't get my big samsonite direct ways in so you slide it down on the wheels and pull it out on the wheels.

klawit

Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
Hi @all,
reviving this thread after quite some time, as I found myself wondering, whether sliding rear rails from former model years (<my10) will match with the facelift models (5P5).
Background:
My FSI my06 blew its engine way too early :cry: ... regarding mileage, not lifecycle.
I quickly decided on a secondhand car: ALTEA 1,4 TSI 4YOU my14
Unfortunately, the newer ALTEAs come only with sliding rear seats when ordering an expensive "family" package ... at least in Germany.
Obviously most ALTEAs on the secondhand market are offered without this feature.

I first thought of removing the seats out of my former car, but it was immediately sold to some other dealer who wanted to fit a reconditioned engine into it.
So I came up with the idea, to find some "5P rear seats with handle" at the wreckers @ ebay ... no matter what seat covers and condition of the upholstery.
Luckily I found a 2006 rear seat ensemble and convinced the scrap dealer to remove just the 4 rails and the 2 levers and send them ... all together for 50 €.
Until then, my seat dealer denied, that the rail system of the facelift is replaceable with the older set of rails ... maybe because he was afraid I would request that exchange work from him :no:

Today I worked about 1,5 hours on exchanging the rails ... no big deal, all parts fit perfectly.

here's the parts: (like mentioned above)
lefthand side
1x 1K0 885 861 E (rail)
1x 1K0 885 862 E (rail)
1x 1K0 885 721 B (lever)
[2x 1K0 886 935] ... not necessarily needed, I used cable ties

righthand side
1X 1K0 885 861 D (rail)
1X 1K0 885 862 D (rail)
1X 1K0 885 722 B (lever)
[2X 1K0 886 935] ... not necessarily needed, I used cable ties

Summary:
- You can still retrofit the sliding rear seats with parts of the older 5P models ...
- It can be a lot cheaper nowadays, as you'll find quite some carved out ALTEAs, just look out for the levers on offered rear seats.

greets ... Klaus

Last edited:
Reactions: Tell and grrf
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.