Recall or Workshop action 45I1

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Has anyone who has had or still has an Arona MY2019 had recall action 45I1 carried out while the car was in for normal servicing?

If so, what exactly di that recall action cover?

Thanks in anticipation as my younger daughter is buying a 2019 Arona Xcellant Lux 1.0TSI 6MT with that action recorded in its service records.

Tell

Staff member
Has anyone who has had or still has an Arona MY2019 had recall action 45I1 carried out while the car was in for normal servicing?

If so, what exactly di that recall action cover?

Thanks in anticipation as my younger daughter is buying a 2019 Arona Xcellant Lux 1.0TSI 6MT with that action recorded in its service records.
Haven't heard of that specific code. Ours is also a 2019 Arona Xcellence Lux 1.0 TSI, DSG. There was the rear seat belt issue when we bought it new pending a fix. We believe that is done now during service. Nobody sits in the back so not bothered 😂.

Was the second one on this list. Two others on the list. If it's a recall it will be one of them.

I would ask a dealer to look up the VIN. I see there are paid services on Vin lookup.

More about the seat belt issue here. Was the centre rear seat. Suspect it was that.

Reactions: RUM4MO

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Thanks for posting, yes I remembered about the seat belt issue, then the driver's airbag issue and then there is the handbrake cable adjustment backing off.

This car has a comment on the 2021 service sheet "adjusted handbrake - customer to try", my daughter's husband did comment on the handbrake action being rough/stiff when compared with other cars and marques he had test driven, so is it true that many VW Group cars from this era have really poor "feel" from the handbrake, I can say that the handbrake on my wife's August 2015 VW Polo with rear discs even from new was never "super smooth" as I'd expect seeing as proper handbrake cables do exist out there, maybe just that VW Group have found a low quality (cheap) supplier and so save a bit of cash on build costs that leave customers with a less than "good enough" handbrake cable. I've suggested to my daughter that with time the aftermarket will probably provide a better quality product, so I could probably end up replacing it.

Logistics are not too good in this case, we live in Central/Southern Scotland and my daughter lives in Bromley, they are coming up next month but by train this time as usual!

I wonder why DVSA can't include the manufacturer's recall code as well as the DVSA one, in the real world, the owner would only see a record of the manufacturer's code in the car's records.

Tell

Staff member
Other than that the 3 cylinder 1 litre is fine. Pulls up the Welsh hills with no issue. Have kitted out the passenger seat with a bolster cushion since it was too low for me and a support back cushion on the drivers side to give better support for longer drives. It's a good run around. I don't drive that one myself... happy with the Ateca Xcellence DSG and automatic handbrake on that. Use that for long runs and the Arona for short ones. Being narrow compared with the Ateca good for single track country roads. Alround ultra sound has it's uses to sound when passing stuff 😂. Pre 2020 aren't full of the VAG bugs of now.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Thanks for that, my wife has a 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL and I find that engine is great - well compared with the 1.4 16V 75PS BBY in her previous 2002 VW Polo SE, my error buying her that to replace her Ford Fiesta with the 1.6SI with the 90PS Zetec engine, whoops!

This "first car buying" started off being a sensible Skoda Scala possibly with the 1.5TSI engine 6MT, but lack of used cars well loaded with parking etc aids, they drifted across to SEAT as I advised them if they wanted bells and whistles then more SEATs leave the factory either in "better" package levels and/or fitted with factory options to add to a big list of standard stuff - like this Arona Xcel Lux - I didn't see that coming as they are not "car people".

In a strange maybe way, I was quite happy if they bought a used Skoda Scala as it sounded that it initially fulfilled their requirements - plus it would mean that as a family, we would have an Audi, a VW, a SEAT and a Skoda! I did make clear early on that buying a basic car and getting someone to retrofit a few "essentials" would end up costing as much or more than buying a better spec'd car, and now that has lead to them picking a SEAT.

Edit:- which oil gets used in that Arona, I see "LL 3" being quoted on the latest service report, is that 5W-30 ?

Also, I'm guessing that as the correct spark park specified VW Group are Iridium, that the change period has gone back to 6 years from the 4 years for Platinum spark plugs.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Page out of the drivers manual:

20220715_145236.png

We bought a litre of

Castrol 15BC3C Edge Professional LL IV FE 0w-20​

Probably over specified.

I would have used the maintenance manual I downloaded from Erwin.

20220715_150416.png

20220715_150538.png

Ours is the bottom row of the second table.

Cross check with

We bought the VW 508.00 specification. I always tended to buy the flexible service oil. Some dealers are suppise to standardise on that.

LL3 is this one

Which is

Approvals:
VW 504 00
VW 507 00
BMW Longlife-04
Porsche C30

But that's 504.00 long life but the one they warn you about in the manual but changing annually won't make any difference I guess.

Anyhow we have never had to top up 👍.

----

Spark plugs... I'm a long standing diesel driver... anyhow the service manual.

20220715_152548.png

So it's the 4 year ones I guess.

I vowed never to have a petrol car again after my first one suffered from carburettor icing. Not a pleasent experience on a motorway. EV for me next ✔. I dont do spark plugs waved goodbye to them in 1994. Arona petrol is the partners. Fuel injection those problems of the past have gone... I know.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Thanks for that, maybe when the time comes, if I get that job, I'll stick with Mobil One ESP, I do plan to get hold of the official workshop manual, not sure if that car's owners will fund me for that, but maybe that is what fathers are for!

I had stupidly forgotten that owners manuals can be found on the SEAT etc website, maybe that is my next job before I start getting calls for advice!

Spark plugs every 4 years and they fit Iridium plugs, that seems a bit wrong, but I'm sure VW Group know best. Typically Platinum plugs which are the cheaper option get replaced every 4 years/40K miles and the optional long life Iridium plugs are considered good for 6 years/60K - the mileage bit is my guess so maybe wrong.

Just one other thing, I think that all new VW Group cars from maybe mid 2021 onwards come with "replace brake fluid every 2 years" ie they seem to have dropped the initial "3 years" - all good for business, like the more expensive spark plugs having a short service period.

Tell

Staff member
The Erwin manuals you can download for £7-50 per hour. You can do the full set in an hour but probably two is more realistic.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I created an account with Erwin some years ago, wasted too much time downloading stuff for my older daughter's late 2009 Ibiza and so I really did not get to find my way round it, but I could try again, or do what I have already done for my 2011 Audi S4 and my wife's 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS and that just buy a download from a 3rd party, easymanuals I think, okay doing it that way does mean that you only buy a copy which was correct at the time it was downloaded, ie not an active document, but buying direct from Erwin means getting the same but maybe a later and maybe corrected/updated version.

Tell

Staff member
Easy enough to do on Erwin with a clear mind. You just download all the Pdfs of use, the VIN lookup and the SSPs. It's all copyright.

First have a look before you start your time to decide what you need. Two hours is enough. No interruptions.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Well the deed has been done, daughter and her husband collected their April 2019 Arona today, first job will be to buy some new key fob batteries as one key is causing low battery warnings, no surprise there I suppose seeing as that car has KESSY. I've suggested that they only ever buy Panasonic batteries and buy probably 4 from a trusted ebay seller.
I've done that a few times over the years, but in my case I've just been proactive and replaced the batteries at 6 years to avoid any possible inconvenience.

Tell

Staff member
Think they will be changing them at 9 months, that's what we seem to be getting at the minute with Duracells on the Arona. Used Duracells although Seat do come with Panasonic. Kessy is hungry on battery life more than a standard fod that you would get 6 years out of. Ateca Kessy isnt so hungry but an earlier fod to the 2019 Arona. Not sure whether the latter Atecas changed to the same fod or not. Wedge the bigger battery into the Ateca fod which is the same battery as the Arona. 2032. Might be the difference in fods why I get more life out of the battery in the Ateca to Arona.

I'm sure they will be pleased with it.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I've just been searching on the internet concerning Arona handbrake issues, and came across a site that lists car manufacturer's recalls in Europe only.
There have been 3 recalls for Arona:- Driver's airbag slow to inflate covering production period - 1/12/17 > 11/12/17 SEAT recall code 69Z1, Handbrake cable slackening off over time covering production period - 31/10/16 > 06/11/18 SEAT recall code 46I1, Rear seatbelt double buckle might accidentally release covering production period - first half of 2020 SEAT recall code 69AU.

So, it looks like the recall carried out on this 2019 Arona will have been the handbrake work which I think only involved the fitting of a locknut to the cable adjuster, which I think all previous VW Group cars anyway, must have been a slight change in design, or the saving of using a second nut as a lock nut!
The fact that I titled this thread "recall 45I1" was down to that being the official SEAT recall recorded in this car's records, so either that dealership made a typo or that internet car recalls listing website made a typo, either way I'm happy enough that I have resolved that!

Reactions: Tell

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I see over time since this model came to market there have been 2 revisions of the handbrake handle assembly but no revisions of the adjuster nut or the cables or the cable guides, so if any more needs doing to that 2019 Arona in the handbrake area, I'd reckon that it will be replacing the handbrake lever assembly - which will be easier than drawing the old cables out and dragging new ones back in - that is assuming that its new owners do not just adapt to its handbrake and enjoy the rest of it.
I'm putting in the ground work for equipping it with a steel spare wheel, 16" I'd think and the rest of the tools and insert - just in case I get the call for advice on that subject, remembering that they are not "car people" and new drivers - rightly so PHDs came first, followed by jobs, followed by house and marriage!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Thanks for any idea which size the wheel/tyre is, just some time in the future no rush, so that I can get them to get the same size, thanks again.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise