Recommendations for suspension setup

chroniclesofcf

Mar 3, 2022
Paisley, Renfrewshire.
Long story short, I think all shocks and dampers are blown. The backs were starting to leak at last years service, and now I’m sure the fronts are gone too. Car is very soft and wallowing especially on the motorway.

As much as I want to spend £1500+ on nice coilovers, I just can’t justify it on a 1.4TSI. Different story if I owned a Cupra 😂

So what are my other options?
- Do I cheap out with cheap coilovers from someone like “Stance+“ or “Raceland”?
- Should I stick with OEM type shocks and dampers from someone like Sachs, Koni, or Bilstein? Later giving me the option to add lower springs?
- Are there OEM+ uprated setups? The same way Sachs do an uprated clutch?

Any insight into setups you guys have and would recommend would be phenomenal!

Edit: Car in question is a 2018 Leon SC FR Technology. It has 110K miles. I do a lot of commuting for work and enjoy a drive at the weekends. Not that it makes any difference but it’s also Stage 1 mapped by SMRemaps to make it a bit more fun and has a res and muffler delete from Pipe Dynamics for a little extra sauce.

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
-Avoid cheap coilovers in my opinion, the likes of the Stance+, JOM and alike are all made in the same Chinese factory and just sprayed a different colour.
-If you want a similar ride and height to what you have then you could upgrade the dampers to something like the Koni Special Active or Bilstein B6 and run standard springs or for a slight lowering and another upgrade the Eibach Pro springs would be an option.

A lot will depend on your budget.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Reactions: chroniclesofcf

chroniclesofcf

Mar 3, 2022
Paisley, Renfrewshire.
-Avoid cheap coilovers in my opinion, the likes of the Stance+, JOM and alike are all made in the same Chinese factory and just sprayed a different colour.
-If you want a similar ride and height to what you have then you could upgrade the dampers to something like the Koni Special Active or Bilstein B6 and run standard springs or for a slight lowering and another upgrade the Eibach Pro springs would be an option.

A lot will depend on your budget.

Damian @ DPM Performance
Thanks for the reply Damian! Really appreciated.

I don't think I would have went the cheap coilovers route if I'm honest. As much as I don't want to drop big money on a lot, I still love my car. She's my first and would hate to see her fall apart due to them 😂

Budget wise I'm not afraid to drop up to £800. These all sound like viable options. I've just found ST by KW as well. Any thoughts on them versus the ones you've mentioned?

I think I'll look at pictures of others who have lowered springs and make a decision on springs. While I'm replacing the shocks and dampers, I'll do the springs anyways. If a brand marks there springs as 30mm lowering kit, will it still be 30mm on the FR "sport" suspension? There already slightly lower from factory right?

Cheers.

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
For £800 you'll definitely be able to get a good springs and shocks kit that will be an upgrade to what you have that's for sure.

The ST kit is a good option and one of our best selling springs and shocks kits but a little firmer than the Koni Special Active and Eibach Pro springs combination I mentioned but still more comfortable than most other aftermarket springs and shocks kits.

Drop us a PM or call if we can be any help with info or prices.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Reactions: chroniclesofcf

chroniclesofcf

Mar 3, 2022
Paisley, Renfrewshire.
For £800 you'll definitely be able to get a good springs and shocks kit that will be an upgrade to what you have that's for sure.

The ST kit is a good option and one of our best selling springs and shocks kits but a little firmer than the Koni Special Active and Eibach Pro springs combination I mentioned but still more comfortable than most other aftermarket springs and shocks kits.

Drop us a PM or call if we can be any help with info or prices.

Damian @ DPM Performance
I do hope it would be better than blown dampers and shocks that have done 110k miles 😂

That's brilliant, thanks for your help mate. Looking through your shop now. Browsing and shopping online it didn't come up at first.

I'll drop you a DM followed by 101 questions if you don't mind 👀

Last edited:
Reactions: DamianPM
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise