Red calipers

27_craig

Apr 2, 2011
Wiltshire
Hi, I have just ordered myself some E-tech red caliper paint off eBay for my mk4 Ibiza! Just after some tips etc on best way to paint my calipers??

yzebevem.jpg

lawrieIbizaMk4

Team Boc!
Aug 31, 2009
Milngavie, Glasgow
www.bebo.com
Wheel off, clean the caliper, if you don't trust yourself to only paint the caliper and not get paint on other things then mask off areas..paint it, put the wheel back on carefully and leave it to dry.

Most places say not to drive the car for 24h to let the paint dry properly

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Just to add to lawrieIbizaMk4 comments - In the current weather after cleaning - I would try to warm the caliper with a hairdryer before you paint.

I stress hairdryer and NOT heat gun.

27_craig

Apr 2, 2011
Wiltshire
Thanks for comments, what's best to clean caliper? Just a wire brush and spray cleaner that comes with the paint?

lawrieIbizaMk4

Team Boc!
Aug 31, 2009
Milngavie, Glasgow
www.bebo.com
Thanks for comments, what's best to clean caliper? Just a wire brush and spray cleaner that comes with the paint?

While its dry a stiff wire brush and a hammer will remove most of the crud, give it a good scrub then a few taps with the hammer and you'll be surprised at how much falls away! Once you have removed most of it give it a quick sand to smooth it down. Then use the caliper cleaner to remove the smaller parts and remaining dirt/grime/grease, let it evaporate then use it again but wipe it off with a rag.

The caliper paint kits actually self level so you don't really need that smooth a surface but still the smoother the better :)

Like deano said, before you paint give it a warm up with a hair dryer, this will let the paint bond better to the surface

27_craig

Apr 2, 2011
Wiltshire
Thanks for that mate, can I put wheel back on before paint is dry? As in do I need axle stands or can I do one at a time?

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire

The cleaner is good at removing the brake dust but wont touch any heavy grime or rust so a hand wire brush is your friend.

Just make sure the surface is completely dry before you apply the paint.

See my thread here for pics etc.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=327754

27_craig

Apr 2, 2011
Wiltshire
Painted my calipers today! Only took a few hours with 2 coats of paint on each caliper. Looks great, next up is some heko wind deflectors and a red stitched leather gear gater! Lovely!

Sjdickso

Apr 21, 2005
Looks spot on, but a tiny tip when taking all time you have to do the callipers a quick blast of VHT paint on the discs will tidy it up even more.

Sjdickso

Apr 21, 2005
Cheers for tip but what's VHT paint?

Sorry, VHT is ( Very temperature paint) you can pick it up for around £8 a can in multiple colours while doing the callipers if you mask off you can do the rusty parts of the discs once cleaned up with a wire brush.

Only learned this recently from a detailing site I find Matt black always looks good to any caliper colour choice :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise