Red Cupra R Faiding paint

prawnboy

Hi,

I've just sold my Ibiza FR and still have the Seat bug, I've spotted a 2005 Leon Cupra R in red that im interested in. However having owned a 2002 Leon Cupra in Ovni yellow prior to the Ibiza it suffered terribly from fading (a common issue), i'm also aware it affects red quite badly too.

The guy tells me over the phone that the paint isn't faded, however before I make the long trip to view, can anyone till me if red suffers badly from fading and if Seat managed to perhaps resolve the issues on later cars ?

Cheers

seantdi

no smoke no poke!!
Jan 18, 2009
ireland
my 05 red leon
DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

i have had no problems anyway!!

4937Liam

Jan 12, 2010
Lakenheath, Suffolk.
Get some protection on the paint as soon as possible if you buy it.
Ive only just very recently bought my Red Leon FR and was concerned with this - As i said get some good quality polish on and 'seal' it in with an equally quality wax - This will help your paint retain its quality no end!

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Personally I won't buy another red car because of fade but if you do as said protect it with a uv blocking wax of some kind. If you have a garage then no worries.

Gordz

Caught The Mod Bug Again!
May 31, 2007
North East
I had a red mk3 ibiza (which is the same red as the leon) and mine was about 9 years old and paint still looked brilliant!

I'd say it's one of the better colours for NOT fading or damaging in the SEAT colour range.

Zuhnu99

Jan 9, 2009
Finland
I have a -05 Leon fr in Emocion red color. It's been mine since new. I wax the paint one times in year. I don't wash it by hand's. Paint color is still wery excellent. There is no much scratch either. Red color is covered with clear lack. That seems to keep paint in good condition. Here is lot of salt and dirt on the roads in winter.

jgy6000

Feb 7, 2010
Oxford
so from reading the reponses here i take it the LC doesnt suffer from fading red paint then?

Looking at a Flash Red LCR and dont want to be polishing every other week!

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
my 2003 LC

DSCF1278.jpg

Lc's flash red is slightly lighter to LCR's flame red IIRC

the paint is just a plush as day 1, just maintain it, UV protection, = a good wax usually manages this,

kevh

Leon Cupra 1.8T 03
Jan 1, 2010
Hampshire
Any colour will fade if not looked after, and does seem to show more on red not just Seat but all manufactures.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I know what you mean about red cars, my first Vauxhall Nova was pink by the time it was disposed of. Really bad fade on that, and it was only maybe ten years old. As far as I remember, it was a chemical used in the red paints that was 100% sensitive to UV light, there was absolutely nothing that could be done about it at the time.

But my other halfs Almera is their cheapy solid red paint, and that's not faded at all in the 8 years it's been driven. And it's been a while since I've seen a pink car (even on Vauxhalls!) so I get the impression the paint companies have finally cracked the red paint fade.

As kevh says, they all fade to some degree (just look at cars and vans that have had decals removed), but it's not as bad as it used to be. The yellows seem to be the worst at the moment, but it's only going to be a matter of time before that's sorted as well.

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
On the ovnis its not the paint that fades, its the lacquer that goes a milky colour and making the yellow look pale if you could some how remove the lacquer the yellow is as bright as the day it went on.
Not sure if this is the same with the reds.

CupraRcleanR

Vauxhall paint is notorious for fade down to single stage paint. VAG two pack paint doesn't suffer the same fate. Good quality wax helps or a decent sealant like Zaino.

Zaino AIO base with Z2pro or Z5pro topped with Z8 give a superb glassy look and protection.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.