Reducing under engine temperatures

Lee_Turbo

Lagging a cast iron exhaust manifold is not really a good idea for a road car. The heat contained within the wrap wil push the temp of the manifold up to a point that could crack it.

It will probably help with horse power and definately reduce under bonnet temperatures, and could possibly reduce turbo lag, but better to wrap the downpipe after the turbo, unless your car is built for the track only IMHO.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Money's been tight this month as the Mrs stamped her feet and made me book 3 (yes 3 ) annual holidays for this year. I think it was a protest that would make me spend less money on the LCR! :D :censored:

However, being the resourceful chap I am I've been juggling money and loans about and its left me with some slack for May. 10k service is due in 1100 miles so am going to have AmD fit the exhaust wrap then. I may (repeat MAY ) have a Milltek system put on at the same time to kill 2 birds with one stone. I will leave it to their infinite wisdom as to where they decide to lag the pipe. They can also fit the Samco pipes. Also need two new front tyres so I get the feeling the service in total is going to be astronomically expensive (about £1500 in all). I hope the car comes out feeling mint! Also got the S3 brace to fit now.

Will the Milltek underperform as I had my car remapped with the OE exhaust? I was hoping AmD may run it to make sure its running at full efficiency as it was them who remapped the car (and will service it! :whistle: ). Also where did you get some DECENT jubilee clips from? :confused:

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
My way

I revive this thread if any more members are interested :)

I had a small but annoying problem with my cold side intercooler hose and intake manifold (I'm running 1.3-1.5bar of boost and stock IC on my Leon FR right now, uprated IC on the way): they were both hot. On a moderate speed highway trip, with plenty of air flowing, it was no problem, both IC rubber hose to manifold and manifold itself were lukewarm, but in city stop-and-go traffic, they became quickly hot. The manifold is heated by radiated heat from the cylinder head (should add a Power Gasket type insulating gasket), while the hose got blown by hot air from the radiator (like being blown all day by a hair dryer); while the first half, near the IC outlet, was rather cold, the next half was both hot and subject to torturous stretching each time it was inflated under boost.

As a Samco IC to manifold hose was far too expensive for just a silicon tube and nobody could guarantee it would not get hot itself and heat again the air which the IC had just cooled, I tried to solve the problem myself: wrapped some plastic cable-tie type circles around the hose first - now it got inflated only 0.5cm(1/5th inch) instead of doubling its diameter. Then got a polyfoam 60mm tube with 10mm wall thickness, the type with aluminium cover used for household pipe insulation, and placed it around the hose, wrapped more plastic ties around to keep it in place. Left the first 1/3rd of the hose (where the factory wire mesh is) free, for it was outside the path of hot air from the radiator.

Tested it around last evening (not quite the best weather conditions for it was humid and only 16 degrees C outside). Results:

- free hose near IC outlet - cold as ambient;
- manifold - rather hot;
- wrapped hose beneath insulation - just as cold as ambient :D
- spool up - it appears slightly (fractions of a second) quicker, as the hose is much more rigid now and turbo does not have to waste energy pushing air to inflate the hose; may be an illusion though

Picture:

Regards,

~Nautilus

Last edited:

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
Had done a very high speed, very high boost test this night. Outside temperature about 13 degrees Celsius

- IC -> cold as ambient
- manifold -> warm
- unwrapped part of hose -> cold as IC
- wrapping -> warm as the manifold
- hose beneath wrapping -> cold

It works :)

~Nautilus

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.