Reflector hassle!

mr.aston

Aug 6, 2006
Ayrshire
www.myspace.com
hey people. i recently fitted a cupra rear red reflector to my mk2. everything was cool until iv looked out my window this morning & noticed sum ba*tard has pulled the black "ibiza" strip off the right hand side of it! [:@]
Its left behind quite alot of sticky black resadue! I've still got my old black "reflector" (even tho it doesnt reflect!) in my shed. So my question is....
"how easy is it to replace the afore mentioned strip?"
how well is it stuck down? am i better just lookin for another cupra reflector?
im stressed! only put it on last week!

zippy12

Peppermint Nightmare
when i got mine colour coded i had to remove the black strips across the reflectors, all i use to stick them back on again was trim tape. Any car shop will stock it.
i put two strips on each piece across the full lenght (and touch wood upto now it has never come off).

Hope this helps.

mr.aston

Aug 6, 2006
Ayrshire
www.myspace.com
so removing them from the black reflector wont mangle them? its just this red 1s in a bit of a state!? would "tigerseal" hold them on? brummy recomended it for fixin a spoiler! im assuming this would b ok?

thanks 4 the quick reply zippy!

zippy12

Peppermint Nightmare
i would say if tigerseal could hold a spoiler it will hold them.
mine didn't mangle, just take your time, i used a long screwdriver and push it behind it a bit at a time, aslong as your carefull you should be ok.
Heres mine
DSC00119.jpg

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
not trying to slag you or any off here... but that colour coding doesnt look the best, its darker than the rest of the car. maybe just the pic

mr.aston

Aug 6, 2006
Ayrshire
www.myspace.com
right... im back! foned my mate this morning about this & he came up top trumps! found another cupra reflector at the local scraps! (the 1 i fitted had a smal crack in it!) so i flew down to the yard to get it... but... i cant get the bloody thing off the car!!! My black reflector was fitted with a standard phillips head screw! this red 1's fitted with a 5way screw!? looks like a star!
HOW THE HELL DO I GET THIS OFF!?! tried a flat & phillips head with no luck!

calm now.... advice please?

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
Way I got mine off the car at the scrappy was to use a pair of long -nose pliars into the screw hole (where you can see at the reflector side) .. then used a pair of 'normal' pliars at the back of it (onto the plastic thing it screws into) then worked the two until it all came off.. )

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
Those are Torx bits. youll need a male set. sizes start mega small. most commenly used on cars are T10 T15 T20 T25 T27 T30 .. some bigger stuff can be T40 T45 T50 T60 ect...

unfortunatly using the wrong tool or wrong size torx can easily round these little blitters..

mr.aston

Aug 6, 2006
Ayrshire
www.myspace.com
Hey brumm my good man! ur a star mate! got the bugger off! altho i think im gonna change mine to a standard nut & bolt cos the plastic tab hold mine in looks a bit ratty. cheers bruv!!

GAL

I got called of work today and got bored so i decided to tint my reflectors as well as the lights at the back because i saw same car as mine like that and it looked better. but who ever had the car before me must have had the reflectors off 2 and broke the right hand side and decided to silicone it so when i came to pull it off it snapped? and i found a big blob of silicone there. just spent a good half hour getting all the silicone of as i dont have any reflectors to go back on!

had to put some black tape on one side of the lights so it only lights the number plate up!

how much should i be looking to buy some reflectors? saw these on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290134273503

went for £24 and then £5 postage on top of that!

thought it was a bit steep for second hand reflectors! am i wrong?

tbh the car looks pretty good without any reflectors on the boot!

mr.aston

Aug 6, 2006
Ayrshire
www.myspace.com
haha! i know what u mean GAL! i spent all day sorting this problem. & the car does look quite cool without 1! ps- iv bought 2 red reflectors recently! 1 for £5, 1 for £8! granted they were from a scrappies but they were in good nick! hunt around.