Removing 888's and looking for the latest best everyday road/track tyre.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Guys,

I took off the winter tyres in March and fitted my 888's. As its a little bit unsensible running 888's all the time due to the 1) Price 2) Wear rate 3) Noise, I am looking for the best current tyre out there.

I realise there are a lot of threads on this subject, and I am one of those who glance them over thinking "do a search". However, I hope someone may be able to pass comment on the following;

1) Is Michelin going to be releasing the Michelin Pilot Super Sport on 225 40 18 92Y. I have heard some fantastic reviews on them

2) The Goodyear Eagle F1 Assy 2 seems to be very scarce - and I have not read too many proper reviews on these. Does anyone know why and is it worth the wait for them if they are simply sold out?

3) Dunlop Sport MAXX seems to keep popping up as a viable option and the possibility of lower price track tyres as every day tyres, like the Federal or Yokohama Track tyres. Thoughts on this or any other suggestion would be welcome.

To give a back ground, I don't waste any time in the car and want something thats a good all rounder and don't mind spending the money it takes to have the tyre that does just that. I have used the OEM Pirellis that came with both my LC's and while they were good, the lack of sidewall protector wasn't good. I have also used Continentals SC2's (never rated them as anything special), Vredstein Ultrac Sessanta's (crap), Michelin Pilot Sports (average). I have had Goodyear Eagle F1 Assy's and liked them, so much I have bought several over the last 5 years in 225 40 18 size.

Cheers,

Al

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
Hi Al

With regards to the Goodyears I'm due to fit a set at the end of June/early July. According to the tyre place their wholesalers won't have any in stock until then.

They also mentioned something about some new rule with regards to tyre noise levels and they thought that might be the reason they're so scarce. They do seem popular so perhaps they've just sold out.

Reactions: Al
Sep 19, 2010
Glasgow
Everyday tyre it would be the Conti sport 3 then followed by the Eagle F1 Assy's 2...as i said Al the Michey super sports on Alan's RS are epic and a pity they don't do them for 18"......track tyres the federal get great reviews but trying to get anything apart from the 888's because of the load rating is tough.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I bet the yank price will be loads cheaper than the price we get if/when they become available here.

I will give them a call tomorrow to see. Seems they are missing a huge market by not having 225 40 18 but other weird sizes are available....

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
Yeah strange...but I'm fine I can get them for the 19" rims on the R :)

Could always get some 19's but that starts getting expensive when new tyres are needed as well!

Interesting that you mentioned Contisport 3's in your other post as that's what I've got at the mo. I'm still in two minds about them.

Fishy

May 16, 2005
I have Conti 3's on at the moment and cant wait for them to burn out. Not sure what I'll go for after these though.

Fish

Nov 15, 2011
I got 2 goodyear assymetric 2's on today i personally havent driven them but apparently they are good (misses said so) and the 2 cheap tyres that were on the fronts were mis-shaped and spots which were bald, due to them being cheap ass tyres.......... Seat main dealer's really know their stuff.

But i will inform you of my views.

slepy

Oct 13, 2010
Sheffield
I went through a lot of tyres in the last 5 years due the mileage I do. Always loved pzero nero and was going to get them again but read about f1 assy 2 and decided to get them instead. Had gsd3 before and it was a good tyre but this one I miles away. Really good grip and feel of the car. Very quiet on motorway as well. But the best thing is when you drive on wet. It is truly amazing and it feels as good as on dry. It is far better than toyo proxes, bridgstone potenza(which is shocking on wet) and my ex-favourite pzero. I didnt have any problem with ordering them last week either. Paid £95+vat each and it seems like a bargain price for quality comparing to 160 for potenza.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Al

Aaroncupra

Last edited by a moderator:

Aaroncupra

Last edited by a moderator:

LeonES

Jun 7, 2011
Just replaced two of the original OEM Pirelli's (awful) with Conti SPortContact 5's. Grip wet and dry easily as good as the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assy's I had on the ST and they are super quiet compared to the Pirelli's too. The only downside is that they have no rim protector what so ever.

Sep 19, 2010
Glasgow
Just replaced two of the original OEM Pirelli's (awful) with Conti SPortContact 5's. Grip wet and dry easily as good as the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assy's I had on the ST and they are super quiet compared to the Pirelli's too. The only downside is that they have no rim protector what so ever.

I had the Conti 5's on my Cupra R wear rate was terrible and and had a blow out in one....my mate has just took them off his Focus RS cause the tread was actually de-laminating.

LeonES

Jun 7, 2011
I had the Conti 5's on my Cupra R wear rate was terrible and and had a blow out in one....my mate has just took them off his Focus RS cause the tread was actually de-laminating.

Hells teeth, ta for the heads up, I'll keep a close eye on them :blink:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.