removing adjuster cups still stuck

Jun 24, 2007
durham
Had a go at removing the adjuster cups on ap coilovers and even with reading guides i cant manage to get it right :confused: . Can some please tell me or show me on a pic where the car has to be jacked up from to make the car have no weight on the two rear tyres

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Don't you just use two jacks on the standard jacking points, just in front of the rear wheels? If you're working on suspension, you need the whole suspension free, not just the wheels off the ground.

Jun 24, 2007
durham
one of the threads i read said use axle stands but i cant see a place to rest the car on that doesnt look like it will crumple

george130

Mar 6, 2008
Norfolk
You want to put axle stands on the side sills nearest the rear of the car, where the metal looks reinforced, making sure the car is high enough to have the wheels off the ground. Then use a jack to lift the spring cup a little, and undo the damper bolt. You (or a mate) may have to pull down on the spring cup (or pull down on the wheel) to be able to pull the spring out. Then do the same for the other side..

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
The best place that I found to put axel stands is a small area of box section that runs parallel with the side sill. It's about 20 cm in from where the sill starts near the tyre. There's plently of space for the stand to rest....just be carefull with the brake line that runs along there.

Jack up the car nice and high and remove both adjusters at the same time. I think I commented on another thread that you started a few weeks ago

Jun 24, 2007
durham
had another go today got it right in ht e air but the springs just wouldnt budge out. now got my abs and tc light on all the time

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
You don't need to remove the bolt under the spring. You should only be removing the aduster spining cup...not the whole thing

Jun 24, 2007
durham
im removing the one bold directly under the spring with the round plate on is this right ? i cant be this retarded lol i must be missing something easy

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
You need to remove the two bolts (they have nuts on the end) which secure the shock absorber to the rear axel...

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
Yes lol. Just make sure you support the rear axel with a trolley jack so that it doesn't swing down too fast.

Jun 24, 2007
durham
spot on mate 3rd time lucky tomo . another stupid question i usually jack the car up where the axle stands would be so where do you jack from so the place is free for the axle stand if that makes any sense

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
I find that there is enough room on that piece of box section to jack the car up, and then support it with the stand. I use a small trolley jack which helps.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members