Removing and replacing electric door mirrors

ifb-online

I managed to get hold of replacement door mirrors for my 99 Toledo V5. These are the full electric ones (adjustment and parking).

Does anyone have any tips on removing the original (nearside is the most important). It's not clear, looking at the replacements, how the whole unit is secured to the door.

Thanks!

Ian

ifb-online

OK, I'm working it out bit by bit - just realised there is a bolt and two locating lugs. Does that mean I remove the interior trin and unbolt the old mirror unit from the inside? Apart from that there is a cable and connectors for the electrics.

Ian

ifb-online

Update; I can get at the head of the bolt from the inside after removing the triangular plastic cover. This requires loosening the door trim. I've managed to remove the two plastic screws at the base of the door and popped a couple of clips, but this doesn't loosen the trim enough for me to get enough access to undo the bolt with an allen key head on a screwdriver. I can probably do it with an L-shaped allen key, but I'm at work, so this will have to wait.

Ian

Cheshire_Tom

Update; I can get at the head of the bolt from the inside after removing the triangular plastic cover. This requires loosening the door trim. I've managed to remove the two plastic screws at the base of the door and popped a couple of clips, but this doesn't loosen the trim enough for me to get enough access to undo the bolt with an allen key head on a screwdriver. I can probably do it with an L-shaped allen key, but I'm at work, so this will have to wait.

Ian

Are you sure it's an allen key bolt holding your mirror on? Mine was a hex headed bolt.

If you're trying to remove the whole doorcard to get access, you need to remove the bolts and screws hidden behind the black door handle before the whole door card will pop off. There are loads of tutorials on door card removal.

ifb-online

Are you sure it's an allen key bolt holding your mirror on? Mine was a hex headed bolt.

If you're trying to remove the whole doorcard to get access, you need to remove the bolts and screws hidden behind the black door handle before the whole door card will pop off. There are loads of tutorials on door card removal.

Yes, I found some info on this after my previous post, thanks. Why is it called a door 'card'?

Ian

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I believe it's a hang over from the older days, doors used to be skinned with what was basically a flat piece of hardboard or thick card. (Have a look at your nearest Vauxhall Nova for a good example!) Nowadays they're more preformed skins, but the name does stick.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise