removing arosa gearbox

instructormike

Hi,
Anyone any idea what the black pipe that sits atop the gearbox/flywheel housing does, and does it interfere with taking the box off? About to do a clutch change and this tube/pipe seems to come out of the box and go back in right next to the block.
Also, what's the procedure for taking apart the gear linkage?
Any help much appreciated.
Mike

grotmeister

Feb 23, 2007
The pipe you refer to is just a gearbox vent, it goes back into the bell housing so doesn't need to be removed when you take the gearbox off. You will need a 8mm spline bit to disconnect the driveshafts, you can get these at halfords if you don't have one. I think you will need to remove the nearside driveshaft altogether: undo the hub nut while the wheel is on the ground and somone's foot is firmly on the brake pedal as it is very tight! For that you need a 30mm socket. My ball joint splitter didn't fit the lower swivel joint but there are 3 bolts you can undo on the wishbone instead which works fine. You will also need to remove the starter motor. The gear linkage is straight forward: two connections, one is a small spring clip that pulls out with a pair of pliers and the other is a M8 bolt that screws into a curious thumb wheel thing. This is adjustable so make a note or take a photo of the position before you remove it. You may well need to remove the nearside wishbone to get the gear box out. I don't know as I took out the engine and transmission complete out of the top of the engine compartment. But there are just two bolts that attach this to the subframe and its comes of very easily. (not forgetting the single nut that attaches the anti roll bar). Thats all I can think of at the moment. I have a clutch alignment tool if you need one for a 1.0 not sure what your car is. Its probably easier to do most of this from underneath the car if yo have a pit, personally I don't care too much for crawling under cars on jacks lol. Best of luck!

grotmeister

Feb 23, 2007
Oh yeah I just thought of something else! The lower gearbox mounting is held onto the body of the car with 3 M8 bolts and there an arm under the starter motor which keeps the space constant between the gearbox and the body of the car and the gear linkage braket. Its attached to the engine/gearbox by a long stud on the end of one of the gearbox bolts and to the linkage bracket by a M8 bolt, again, its only really feasable to get to these from underneath. The arm has to be disconnected from both ends to remove it. I suppose you could leave it in situ and undo the gearbox bolt but I didn't try this. if I think of anything else, I'll let you know. cheers