Removing gear gaiter?

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
Has anybody removed the gear gaiter from their Altea.

I want to fit my SEAT Sport gearknob but can't work out how to get the gaiter & suround off.

It was very easy to remove on my Leon.

processpaul

Nov 24, 2006
Brighton
Gear gaiter

Hi,

Ive not had the complete gaiter off the gear knob, but have had it loosened from below when if removed the whole centre console. the gaiter is clipped in from underneath. If you need any more tips let me know.

Cheers

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
Hi,

here's two sketches where the position of the clips can been seen fairly well:
=> http://www.seatforum.de/forum/showthread.php?p=252317#post252317

Just be careful, when pressing the clips towards the rim, the leather gaiter is just stapled to the frame ... don't pull too hard or it will rip ...
(even my dealer had to re-order them twice, as he was too rashly removing it, first try, a clip broke off and next time the leather was torn off the frame)

Best will be, if you have a helping hand, one of you presses those 3 clips and the other carefully lifts the gaiter-frame.

greets ... Klaus

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
Hi,

here's two sketches where the position of the clips can been seen fairly well:
=> http://www.seatforum.de/forum/showthread.php?p=252317#post252317

Just be careful, when pressing the clips towards the rim, the leather gaiter is just stapled to the frame ... don't pull too hard or it will rip ...
(even my dealer had to re-order them twice, as he was too rashly removing it, first try, a clip broke off and next time the leather was torn off the frame)

Best will be, if you have a helping hand, one of you presses those 3 clips and the other carefully lifts the gaiter-frame.

greets ... Klaus

Thanks Klaus, I'll give it a go.

I can feel the clips, it was just a case of which way to push/pull them. Looks like I'll need an extra pair of hands as I can't hold thew clips and lift it up on my own, no matter how much I swear at it.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.