Removing gear gaiter?

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
How do you remove the gear gaiter?

I am trying to replace the gearknob on my Altea but can't work out how to get access to it. I didn't get any joy from the Altea owners and it doesn't look too much different to the Leon.

On the Mk1 Leon you just released the 2 catches and the gaiter came up but I can't seem to find anything like that on this.

Any ideas anyone?

leon1p

XBL - dervturbo
Jun 30, 2006
Aberdeen
www.simplyrc.com
Just tried what i posted below but it didn't help.. if you pull the cupholder out on the leon though you get access underneath the gaiter which might help and let you feel how it is held down.

** original Post **
if u press into the bottom of the gaiter you should feel two clips.. i've always assumed pressing these in the right direction would release it? Not tried it though the clips feel moveable/flexible.

Last edited:

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
Just tried what i posted below but it didn't help.. if you pull the cupholder out on the leon though you get access underneath the gaiter which might help and let you feel how it is held down.

** original Post **
if u press into the bottom of the gaiter you should feel two clips.. i've always assumed pressing these in the right direction would release it? Not tried it though the clips feel moveable/flexible.

I've found the clips as well. Pushing, pulling, waggling, swearing at etc doesn't seem to do anything like it does on the Mk1

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
Best way to find out is break it! Then in 0.2 seconds it will be crystal clear the correct method for removal without causing damage.

You first!

I've only had the car a month so I don't want to break anything yet.

Yours is older, so you first.:D

MartH

Jul 18, 2006
Cullompton, Devon
Carefully remove the chrome trim with something plastic like old credit card, then once thats out you need to release the two clips which hold in the gaiter. Push your fingers down into gaiter at front on either side and push out, then the front lifts up followed by the back...

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
Carefully remove the chrome trim with something plastic like old credit card, then once thats out you need to release the two clips which hold in the gaiter. Push your fingers down into gaiter at front on either side and push out, then the front lifts up followed by the back...

Thank you very much, I'll give it a try tomorrow.:D

k4ith

Goodson!
Sep 3, 2006
West Lothian
dont break the plastic silver trim as you cant buy the part, you have to buy the whole gaitor, unless you er-em acquire one from a courtesy car...............slinks off.

leon1p

XBL - dervturbo
Jun 30, 2006
Aberdeen
www.simplyrc.com
dont break the plastic silver trim as you cant buy the part, you have to buy the whole gaitor, unless you er-em acquire one from a courtesy car...............slinks off.

Can't imagine anyone doing something like that though.. what sort of lowlife scumbag, would do such a disgrasefull act :lol: :clap: Good work

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members