Removing Inlet Mani / Rocker Cover

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
This weekend im hoping to do a few bits to the car including polishing my inlet mani and rocker cover.

just wondering if anybody has any hints or tips on the best way to remove the 2. Is it a hard task to complete? Is there anything that is likly to go wrong that could end up in a big repair bill at the garage?

Ive orderd new gaskets today so that out of the way. Does anybody know the part number to the rocker cover gasket as i can`t seem to find it in the part number section.

Cheers.

Last edited:

rudolf2

The part number for the rocker cover gasket is: 058 198 025 A

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
New gasket on hand is a must i reckon unless your used to taking it off.

Theres nothing difficult about it, loads of fixings that you tighten down from the inside out and thats about it.

Easy job.

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Got on very well..

Didnt find it that bad to take off at all like you say the injectors had to come out etc... managed to wedge the fuel rail out of the way.

I`d personally say it was more fidderly that difficult.

Ill get some pics up at the weekend as its dark when i get in from work.

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
cool, i will probaly get a mate to give me hand then if thats the case.

What was the part number of your throttle body gasket if you don't mind as i've got one but it doesn't look right some how?

This may be a stupid question but did fuel leak when you took the rail off?

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Sorry mate, i threw the invoice.

I just told the bloke in part i wanted a inlet mani to TB gasket, and they just sourced it in etka. If you can post a pic ill be able to say weather it rigt or not.

I left everything on the rail connected and just undone the fixing bolts and moved it up.

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
If you could cast your eye over this to see if it's the same as you got it would much appreciated.

18122007062.jpg

P/No. 028 129 748

Cheers

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Yup thats the correct part mate! I did try to get a pic this afternoon as there was abit og light left, but the camara decided to have a fit.

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
Cool cheers mate, the lad at the stealers is always fairly good, but i thought i'd check,

It's always the way mate when you want to do something quickly something always goes wrong!!

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Isnt it just!

Ill certinatly get some pics up this weekend as im hoping to get my rocker cover done, Then ill have a pic of all 3 done together.

Must have saved abit ot sending them to a pro to be done. I can see my face in the 2 i have done so they cant be that bad :D

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
I had a leccy sander from work with a few grades of hemry paper obviously working from the roughest to smoothest until the surface was very smooth. Then i used to wirewool with autosol until i had a decent shine then went over it a few times with autosol and a microfibre applicator.

Did you manage to do a good job on the tube on the back of the mani? I got them to shine but not as good as the top of the mani. Cant really see them but its nice to know there semi done.

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
Yeah too right they would have wanted a fortune, I'm only getting mine powder coated as they said they would chuck it in the deal when i get my wheels done!!

Slightly off topic, do you know if paint would stick to powdercoat on the inlet mani?

Sounds like you've done a good job mate, trouble is now you've got to keep them looking like that!!

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Looks a decent finish from that angle bud, Yeh i still have a few small marks left. That i may try to get out, It took my about 2 1/2 hours solid just the rubbing down and polishing. My arms felt like they wanted to drop off.

Worth it in the end though and saved a few pennies.