Removing pedal box?

kev25v6

I have to remove the pedal box to get it welded back up due to it cracking. The steering column seems to have to come out to get the box out. Is this right? Is there anything else holding the box in apart from a few bolts?There looks to be a couple of bolts in the top of the box and where it connects to the steering column, is this all? Do the clocks have to be moved to get the steering column out or is it just the plastic surrounds that have to be moved? I know its quite a few questions but i can find loads on here that have had the same problem or had the clutch snap but there is only a write up for removing the clutch pedal not the box. Thanks for any help you can give.

spudnutter

pedal box removal

hi i have done 2 pedal boxs in a week
the only place to buy a new one is the dealers ..but you are better off removing it and welding it up and re enforcing it with weld

the steering rack has to be lowerd to get box out there is 2 snap off bolts that come out if you drill the centre and bang a small torque bit in the hole so a socket can be put on and the bolts will wind out then the column can be lowerd leaving it attached at the floor joint

this gives access to the box undo all the bolts and remove the stabaliser bar which is held by one nut then remove the clips on each end of the pedal box bar and remove the clutch pedal by sliding off the bar then pull out the bar and spacers which will leave the brake pedal hanging you have too feed the brake pedal through the hole at the back of the box the pedal needs a special tool to remove it properly but is not nessesary if you feed it through the hole

you should now have the box in your hand

get it welded and renforced and put it back in reverse but buy new clips for the ends of the bar as they allways break when removing .64p at main dealers

kev25v6

Thanks for the info. Can i get the snap off bolts from the dealers? How many clips would i need to buy?

spudnutter

box

hi there are 2 clips one on each end of the bar 64p total

part numbers are 1h0721194 and 1h0721159

the snap off bolts i just replaced them with normal 13mm bolts

Dec 3, 2007
cardiff
i have just taken one out and didnt do no where near that amount of work. literally just finished!

took 2hrs and thats only cos i didnt know what i was doing

remove the clips from both ends of the bar and push the bar to the right as far as possible. the pedal will fall in your hand! weld it up and put back in. hardest part is putting the big ass spring back in!

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
I actully got told by a seat mechanic that you have to drop the steering colum etc....

Little do they know:lol:

Dec 3, 2007
cardiff
took me 2 hrs to get in and out. i think i could do it in 5 min now. but thats not putting the spring back in

kev25v6

Its not my pedal that has snapped,its the actual pedal box that has cracked. Has a right angled drill got to be used to drill the shear bolts out? It looks tight to get a normal drill in. Are there hidden bolts for the steering column under the clocks or around that area?

spudnutter

hi am pleased you got it in and out quicker than me ..
some times the bar does not slide right out heater box is in way by an inch
the spring is very easy to put in all you do is slide the clutch pedal out an inch so it will pull up past the box then put the spring in at an angle behind .slightley press the pedal then slide back on. hence causing the spring to fall back into place.
any body wanting too do this job please be aware ive been a machanic for 24year and the best way to do this job is to remove coloum the dealers do it this way and charge you 7 and half hour labour including parts inexcess of £300
the only way to do the weld properly is to totally remove pedalbox so all broken welds cn be repaired and strentheners fitted...
please dont belive me if you want too do a half arsed job like drilling a hole through and putting nut and bolt in to bulk head or you could be a proper idot and weld it in place ..
then try my way when all rest of ways are just temp fixes and knack up again

kev25v6

How do you get a normal drill into the snap off bolts? It looks like the fuse box is ion the way

Wynford

Jul 13, 2009
Bracknell
bar blocked by heater box

(pedal box)

some times the bar does not slide right out heater box is in way by an inch [/QUOTE]

But what do you do next if it won't slide right out, I'm tempted to drill a hole in the heater box. Or will all become clear when I get the remaining nuts off?
Any advice most welcome!

Dec 3, 2007
cardiff
[/QUOTE] But what do you do next if it won't slide right out, I'm tempted to drill a hole in the heater box. Or will all become clear when I get the remaining nuts off?
Any advice most welcome! [/QUOTE]

u removing the collum? do you have a snapped pedal?

Wynford

Jul 13, 2009
Bracknell
But what do you do next if it won't slide right out, I'm tempted to drill a hole in the heater box. Or will all become clear when I get the remaining nuts off?
Any advice most welcome! [/QUOTE]

u removing the collum? do you have a snapped pedal?[/QUOTE]

I have to change the whole pedal box. I have taken out the shear bolts and the bottom steering connection, and so have a loose column, but will need to strip all the wires to get it out entirely.
The heater box blocks the pedal shaft from being fully withdrawn, so the column is still held by the pedal shaft at the bottom.
Maybe if I manage to get (break) the brake pedal connector off ( I have a new connector just in case), then I'll be able to get at all the pedal box bolts with the lower column still in place, and then move the whole thing (pedal box + shaft + the bottom of the column) out in one lump far enough into the car to withdraw the shaft. I just feel like I'm missing something obvious!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.