Removing Side Rub Strips... any tips?

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
Anyone got any handy tips for removing the side rub strips on my Ibiza ?!?

Want to get rid of them, as they look so 'old-man'ish !!! ;) Flapper, you want them for yours ?!? ;)

I reckon they're only glued on, so a bit of heat, and some gentle leverage should do the trick.....

They're not screwed on are they ?!? with holes in the body work ?!? Just thought I'd better check !!! :D

Kev_D

Sep 18, 2004
Hartlepool
www.nemm.co.uk
I'm sure that the rub strips on the Ibiza are just glued on mate, i've had mine removed and i don't think that there was any screws or any holes left once they came off, not 100% sure though as mine got removed when it was in the bodyshop getting the arches fitted.

Kev_D

Sep 18, 2004
Hartlepool
www.nemm.co.uk
I got told the best bet to get them off without leaving too much gunk on the body work was to use either an old credit card to lift them off or someone even mentioned a coat hanger, but i thought that one might be a bit risk :blink:

Don't know if that'll help any though :D

andyj

just like these:

Ibiza4.jpg

More pics to follow ;) Only the ones I got from the guy selling it though, not had chance to take any of my own yet ! ;)

andyj

progress has been made...... ;)

All the bump strips have been removed from the car, the door ones were easy to get off!

Managed to remove all of the glue from the doors, with the help of some white spirit etc ;)

However, the glue on the rear panels is like very hard plastic, and won't budge!! Tried pouring boiling water on it, helped a little, but not alot.

Going to give it another try tonight, and see what I can do.

Car does look alot 'cleaner' with out the strips on, just need to sort out the glue!

Also need to get the old T-cut out on a couple of areas where the paint has faded under the edge of the strips......

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members