Removing spots of paint from paintwork

jetsetjimbo

a.k.a James
Jun 12, 2005
J2 M5
Hi guys

The front of my parents car has gotten splattered with tiny little spots of white masonry paint when their next door neighbours painted the front of their house.

I only noticed this at the weekend when cleaning the car, it must have been this way for a little while now and there's not really any way we can say anything to the Neighbours.

I have tried claying but that dosen't seem to want to pick the spots off (certainly any of the larger ones - still pretty small - anyway).

It is possible to pop them off one by one with a finger nail but this is a very slow task and the clearcoat is easily marked. :(

Is there anything I could use that I could put on to soften them for removal with cloth \ clay without damaging the paintwork of the car itself?

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
What clay are you using? It comes in different levels of abrasivness. for example, Megs Quick Clay (the white stuff) is pretty mild. Something Like Sonus Grey clay is much more aggresive, but it will leave pretty bad marring afterwards which will need polishing to get rid of. Should do the trick though.

(Note - I'm not sure how easy it would be to hand polish out the marring left by the clay so I would STONGLY suggest trying it somewhere out of the way first to make sure you can sort it)

jetsetjimbo

a.k.a James
Jun 12, 2005
J2 M5
What clay are you using? It comes in different levels of abrasivness. for example, Megs Quick Clay (the white stuff) is pretty mild. Something Like Sonus Grey clay is much more aggresive, but it will leave pretty bad marring afterwards which will need polishing to get rid of. Should do the trick though.

(Note - I'm not sure how easy it would be to hand polish out the marring left by the clay so I would STONGLY suggest trying it somewhere out of the way first to make sure you can sort it)

Thanks Reg

It is Megs stuff I have. I can get them off with it but the pressure required does cause some marring - which I've pretty much been able to hand polish out with some scratch X but I wouldn't want to do the whole bonnet, bumper and drivers side wing!

I was wondering if something like the Megs paint cleaner (which I have some of) would soften / lift them at all making them easier for the clay to pick up?

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
Its worth a try for sure, but I think elbow grease is the only option. If the Megs stuff is getting it off, stick with it. What time you save with more aggressive clay will cost you dearly having to polish out the marring its causes. Sorry mate, would love to give you an instant fix!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.