Renault F1 accept 'guilt' in race fixing allegation - Briatore & Symonds leave.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
woohooo hooo - just chatting about that

so when is the points removal and constructors shutout and huge fines coming then ?

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
To be honest I think the team are hoping for a reprimand, fine and get-out of jail free card, based on the fact Flav and Symonds have seemingly fallen on their swords.

However all of this could balance on whether or not Renault remain in the sport, it may well save the team but I'm not so sure it will be under the Renault banner.

Last edited:

Timthebrief

Barmy Army sleeper cell
And so Formula One continue it's slow march towards the cliff edge.
If teams are prepared to take such risks, and drivers to follow such orders, how can the paying public believe there is any honour or real sportsmanship or even a basic sense of right and wrong left in this so called sport?

It's entirely about the money and fleecing the gullible who would be much better off as race fans watching so called lesser formulas. Come to a BTCC meet and see real racing and passion put together on a fraction of what Bernie carries in his man bag.

alexj124

Mar 2, 2005
Edinburgh
motogp is always good it never fails been watching it before rossi entered.

But with F1 it has its moments. I enjoyed the start of monza gp but as soon as it settled down that was it really. Cars should never of had the choice of running kers or not. As you get people saying like at the weekend that no way they can overtake a kers car. stupid.

Car redesigns have not aided overtaking so all the money spent has been a waste well done bernie and friends!!

Jordan20vt

Mk3 20VT
Jan 14, 2006
Rugby
To be honest if formula 1 didn't have controversy and scandal what would it have?

eg. me and my missus watching F1 at home.

Me: "oh look Raikonen is cathching up Hamilton, look how much time he's taken off him!"

20mins later

Missus: "how come he still hasn't overtaken him then?"

Me: "well my dear he has got into the 'dirty air' making overtaking impossible due to lack of downforce"

Missus: "so how do people overtake?"

Me: "Through stratigically timed pit stops"

Missus: "i'm going up stairs to watch The Hills"

lol

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I doubt Piquet will have a career in the sport after this, even though he has been given immunity by the FIA for speaking up he went along with the initial incident, though he claims under extreme pressure from Briatore. But as has been said two wrongs don't make a right..the trust has gone.

F1 is better off without Briatore, his hypocritical nonsence during the McLaren/Ferrari spygate affair where he both lambasted McLaren and Ron Dennis while his own team were doing the same thing.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61166

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/62267

Renault were found guilty of the same charges in the same incident yet were let off being penalised, where McLaren had the book thrown at them.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64302

It would appear there has been an underlying acceptance that they could bend the rules. The sport is better off without him involved, and maybe a few more of the old guard should step aside to let F1 change and flourish while giving the fans some assurances that the sport is clean and fair.

Last edited:

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
It would appear there has been an underlying acceptance that they could bend the rules. The sport is better off without him involved, and maybe a few more of the old guard should step aside to let F1 change and flourish.

Now Bernie's best mate has gone we can only hope Bernie will follow suit.

Fat Chance I know but we can all dream

alexj124

Mar 2, 2005
Edinburgh
i he's doing a good job there as well :headhurt: idiot

i think it would be good for the ol' timers to not be present on the pit wall freshen the sport up

last 10 years they have ruined the sport, bernie etc. What was ever wrong about running for an hour and the best team was on pole? what was wrong with more than one tyre supplier, what was wrong with re-fuelling during the race (next years regs)

We have the A1gp fro all this. In principle its a good idea but right from the start not after so so many years of F1

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I think what people are striving for is more racing and less tactics. A ban on refueling will make the sport safer for the teams and less tactical as everyone is loaded to the hilt with fuel.

I believe this year (political nonsense aside) has been a considerable improvement. There has been more racing and overtaking going on than of previous years. One of the issues is sanitised racing circuits making the action boring and uncompetitive.

Some of these newer venues may have excellent facilities but they lack soul, character or challenge. Many are too flat, they need undulations, crests, cambers, rises and falls. The older more traditional circuits always seem to produce the best action.

Rules and Regulations needs pinning down, KERS has been a bit of a white elephant really. It has been costly to develop and most of the teams have dropped it from their cars anyway. Still not banned for 2010, but they either need to set it down in stone as compulsory for all or drop it altogether.

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Last edited:

alexj124

Mar 2, 2005
Edinburgh
so many mistakes its unbelievable

1) Piquet should never of been asked to crash
2) Piquet should never of agreed to crash
3) Piquet although i admit was not good enough for F1 he shouldn't of been sacked the way he was
4) piquet should then not of ratted everyone out

In my eyes they are as guilty as each other. Renault should be fined/banned/thrown out completely or whatever is deemed appropriate and piquet even though i think he wouldn't of driven again in F1 has thrown potentially his whole racing career away as he is basically unemployable now

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
22i49d.jpg

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.