Subaru out of WRC

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
No flash in the pan this recession is it. :(

Bad news for motorsport. The longterm future for the BTCC only seems to be with independent entries, I'm not sure Vauxhall can continue to compete what with GM's problems in the States and the outlook within Vauxhall itself looks bleak with production being reduced and employees offered 9 month reducced pay sabbaticals.

SEAT made an announcement yesterday that it will adjust its production volume for the first half of next year in the face of what it describes as the persistent markets’ downturn, particularly in Spain and its main export markets, coupled to future uncertainty in those markets.

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
Am I right in thinking it is this "credit Crunch" that everyone is bleating on about??

How exactly is this "credit crunch" affecting so many people? I mean Wollies and Subaru are as different as chalk and cheese yet they both seem to have been hit very badly indeed by this credit crunch.

I see from Wikipedia that it seems to be a downturn in the availability of loans/borrowing or an upturn in the cost of them from banks but that doesn't make sense. How are so many different types of companies all borrowing loans (or credit) from their banks? What are they all needing the money for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_crunch

It is percieved to be by many all very bad I know that.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Simply, its a matter of Economics. Business can't function without the flow of cold hard cash. If the banks are not freely loaning money to help business and people are not spending due to the lack of available credit (especially on new cars) then they need focus on saving the money.

The first thing to suffer in a recession is advertising and promotion, all of which cover Motorsport.

I think this is the tip of a rather large iceberg, I can see many more victims of this recession before the 2009 motorsport seasons begin.

Last edited:

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
The first thing to suffer in a recession is advertising and promotion, all of which cover Motorsport.

I'm on the marketing team for the Harewood Hillclimb and we are already finding sponsorship and advertisers very difficult to get.

I think alot of the National/local motorsport venues and championships are going to suffer in 2009.

Poverty

No flash in the pan this recession is it. :(

Bad news for motorsport. The longterm future for the BTCC only seems to be with independent entries, I'm not sure Vauxhall can continue to compete what with GM's problems in the States and the outlook within Vauxhall itself looks bleak with production being reduced and employees offered 9 month reducced pay sabbaticals.

SEAT made an announcement yesterday that it will adjust its production volume for the first half of next year in the face of what it describes as the persistent markets’ downturn, particularly in Spain and its main export markets, coupled to future uncertainty in those markets.

Its pointless vauxhall competing against idies anyway really as it doesnt hold much weight. GM looks set to head for bankruptcy though!

2009 is the year we will get hit the hardest, and many big companies will collapse! Its going to be worse than the UK gov. is letting on that I can assure you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
Am I right in thinking it is this "credit Crunch" that everyone is bleating on about??

How exactly is this "credit crunch" affecting so many people? I mean Wollies and Subaru are as different as chalk and cheese yet they both seem to have been hit very badly indeed by this credit crunch.

I see from Wikipedia that it seems to be a downturn in the availability of loans/borrowing or an upturn in the cost of them from banks but that doesn't make sense. How are so many different types of companies all borrowing loans (or credit) from their banks? What are they all needing the money for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_crunch

It is percieved to be by many all very bad I know that.

People aren't spending money. They're not spending it in the shops, and they're not spending it at the car dealerships.

The cause is probably a mixture of
1. People who haven't got money get get loans so that they can go and spend
2. People who have got money are keeping hold of it, riding out the storm if you like.

the causes.... that's a series of essays for another day!

Poverty

the cause is people spending money they have not got and living beyond their means. Everyone wants big wages but wants to pay little prices. It doesnt work!

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
You could also argue the cause is banks encouraging people to live beyond their means.

Or, that govornments aren't stopping people living beyond their means.

Or, that banks were running too close to the wind.

KaraK

Suspiciously Absent
Feb 28, 2003
Cumbria, UK
Visit site
I'm really suprised at this - after all Subaru are basically the textbook case of using motorsport to improve car sales!

If it wasnt for the WRC they wouldnt have sold a fraction of the Impreza's they have sold.

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
I'm really suprised at this - after all Subaru are basically the textbook case of using motorsport to improve car sales!

If it wasnt for the WRC they wouldnt have sold a fraction of the Impreza's they have sold.

I suppose they can justify the pullout by saying they've completed their objectives, which they have done in a massive way, thanks mainly to Colin McRae and Prodrive.

The WRC was looking crap next year as it was, even worse now. Hopefully 2010 and the S2000 rules will see teams coming back and new cars appearing.

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
Nah Prodrive are big enough to run lots of different things. If it was as simple as that, Subaru would just have moved on to another rally prep company.

WaveyDaveyGravy

But I'm so tasty
Jan 3, 2006
Shipley
I am really surprised about this I have to say. No-one will miss Suzuki but Subaru have been the constant factor in rallying for almost 20 years. They may be back when the rules change.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members