Review between MY19 Leon Cupra & MY21 Cupra Ateca

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
So, I've meant to write this for a while, as I know for a few Leon/Leon Cupra owners one of the next jumps is 'up' a size to an Ateca.

Quick touch on the Leon Cupra;

• After 17k miles, the car was a rocket, loud and so responsive - I was actually quite sad to see it go (the downside to a lease if you enjoy the car!) - I've found it currently on a known site for sale, I can honestly say I take care of every car like I've purchased it so let me know if you want a 'known history' cared for in my hands car.
  • Had all the gadgets you could need on a car which I always thought was very good value for money if you bought one outright.
  • 1 warranty issue - water pump and heater matrix got replaced - funny that every VW group car I've had has fallen to the same fault.. SEAT had no issue in replacing even during COVID lockdown, took a week in total due to order parts and 'COVID precautions'. Whatever they were..
  • To me, the looks of the MK3 are great, far better than the new shape and MK9 Golf...
  • One thing is I wouldn't spec the leather ever again, useless when pushing, was like a slip and slide!
Now, comparison between the Leon Cupra and Ateca Cupra;

I wont hide the fact, the first few days I honestly thought 'Oh'. From my Leon, the Ateca just felt sluggish which was very apparent when I drove the Leon to my parents to store there as there was a crossover with my Ateca delivery. Same car within an hour of each other it was very night and day.

Now, 1000+ miles in - WOW. Its loose, DSG has learnt my driving style and I'm learning to push it in a similar fashion to my Leon. The 4WD (front dominant) is incredible and I've not had one scrub which blows my mind coming from fast FWD hot hatches :D

The size is perfect, took some getting used to on tighter roads but was expected.

The model is a VZ1 - so the only feature I don't have compared to my Leon is Adaptive Cruise which I actually have gone to use once or twice on motorway runs and realised it will just run up on someone now.. Maybe next time I'll go up a class but for the price and need of the ACC I cant see the point especially now WFH.

The alcantara seats are lovely, really lovely. Hold me so well and look fantastic

The new digital display and centre console are very good, added features my Leon missed on its digital display such as Apple Music in the side options etc. also wireless CarPlay is amazing. I dabbled with the new MK9 Golf displays and the Ateca is miles better for an 'older' unit. A funny though.. the paper manual says YOUR CUPRA IS NOT AN OFF ROAD CAR. But in the display they have removed the boost gauges etc I had in my Leon and instead have off-road options such as pitch, incline and wheel position.. :unsure: (plus an off-road mode..)

The sound is creeping in from the exhaust now, loud pops and bangs with the 'farts' we all love on the DSG. Need to see if I can code the flaps open as I never realised no cabin vibrating rubbish - pure exhaust sound which is great. I coded my Leon sound gimmick out and once that bedded in was louder than any car I had before.

Drive position is great, not too high for me and gives you a firm feeling of the car reacting. First time being out of a hot hatch and I like the larger road presence you get from the ride.

As I hit 1000 miles on the weekend, I launched it. It was like being on a roller coaster. My first 4WD launch and it was incredible. the first time I've used a launch control where it made sense and 'launched' without smoke/scrub/noise!

Other little bits;
  • Dashcam setup is exact same as my Leon - let me know if you need a photo of the fuse box for a switched and perm live - I use a Thinkware F770 setup.
  • Glove box is pointless..
  • Heated steering wheel is nice but odd without seats to match.
  • Steering wheel buttons missing but we soon learnt the UK spec didn't include these unless you spec the VZ3 version which is a huge premium just to gain Brembo and an exhaust in my eyes.
  • DCC is as great as my Leon. Firm for spirited driving and soft for cruising in comfort. I have found it slightly more forgiving but probably due to the wheel size and higher side wall compared to my Leons 19" and 35mm side wall.
  • Auto Start/Stop is very intrusive - more so than my Leon.
  • All around camera view was unexpected and great for learning the size of my car. The auto park was also missed of any literature I was given..
  • The CUPRA logo at night being shown onto the ground is an exciting gimmick that I enjoy!
  • Interior is on par with my Leon maybe even better build quality if I'm honest.
So there it is, a ramble of a review. If you need any decision helping on a move to a Ateca Cupra or first foray into one, feel free to hit me up! I feel less active on here now due to having the Leon first, the Eco system is pretty much exact same so hence less frequent need to browse the forums, but I'm sure there are more Ateca owners probably looking for answers and it would be great to see the steady stream there was of people when I ordered my Leon, maybe due to there not being that 'cult' yet as there is for a Leon Cupra (y)

A side note - ordered December 2020, arrived April 1st.

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
Good stuff. Glad you got used to it and are now happy. I came from a Golf R and have not been disappointed one bit, not least because the spec was incredible compared to my base-spec golf. I've done 7,500 miles now and still haven't launched it... Really need to at some point :LOL:

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
I have a Limited Edition Cupra Ateca, and that has 20” rims with 35 sidewalls (Brembos). Still much more comfortable in “comfort” than my previous S3 on 19” / 35 sidewalls.

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
Good stuff. Glad you got used to it and are now happy. I came from a Golf R and have not been disappointed one bit, not least because the spec was incredible compared to my base-spec golf. I've done 7,500 miles now and still haven't launched it... Really need to at some point :LOL:

I think I was always going to be happy, it was probably mainly due to the perceived speed/handling compared to my Leon! That's all gone away now the car has loosened up.

You really do, although if you've used it in the Golf R I can imagine it being the same - it amazes me such a lump can move so fast off the line haha.

That is another point though..turning off driving aids is a pain in the Ateca interface, I had a ESC button in my Leon I held for 5 seconds and it disabled everything, cant find similar on the Ateca?

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
I have a Limited Edition Cupra Ateca, and that has 20” rims with 35 sidewalls (Brembos). Still much more comfortable in “comfort” than my previous S3 on 19” / 35 sidewalls.

That's good to know, maybe the DCC on the Ateca is better? More space to hide the workings or longer travel allowed?

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Different type of DCC. Audi use “Magride” where the viscosity o& the oil is altered by applying an electric field that changes the orientation of magnetic particles in the oil. Apparently the new generation S3’s ride a lot better than my 8V did. SEAT uses a system where the orifice size in the shock absorber changes, and that seems to work better.

Reactions: pburv and bgb

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
I think I was always going to be happy, it was probably mainly due to the perceived speed/handling compared to my Leon! That's all gone away now the car has loosened up.

You really do, although if you've used it in the Golf R I can imagine it being the same - it amazes me such a lump can move so fast off the line haha.

That is another point though..turning off driving aids is a pain in the Ateca interface, I had a ESC button in my Leon I held for 5 seconds and it disabled everything, cant find similar on the Ateca?
In my Ateca (MY19 I think) I can leave the Lane Assist off permanently, something which isnt possible on the new ones (thank god). But yea, the fact the ESC/TCS is hidden in the settings has probably cause me to not bother looking for it. frankly it launches quick enough without launch control and so it's never been an issue!

Reactions: bgb

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
Different type of DCC. Audi use “Magride” where the viscosity o& the oil is altered by applying an electric field that changes the orientation of magnetic particles in the oil. Apparently the new generation S3’s ride a lot better than my 8V did. SEAT uses a system where the orifice size in the shock absorber changes, and that seems to work better.
Interesting, I knew of Audi's magnetic ride but never dug into SEAT's technology.

May 25, 2021
Great write up Ive ordered a VZ1 which I wont get until October. My current on a Tiguan R Line lease ends in August but they offered to extend it at the same rate im paying now. I also considered getting the new Fromentor but after a test drive I found it too low down after being in an SUV and being a bit tight for space. Love the look of it just didn't find it very comforable.

I thought all the newer Cupra Ateca's have the start buttons and cupra button on the steering wheel? Im sure I read somewhere the earlier versions of the face lifted car just didnt have them on? does anyone know if its only the VZ3 version that gets the steering wheel buttons? thanks

Ive just answered my own question looked on the cupra website and it is indeed showing only under the VZ3 spec you get the satellite buttons a bit disappointing as I was sure someone said its supposed to be on all of the cars. oh well.

Last edited:
Reactions: bgb

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
Great write up Ive ordered a VZ1 which I wont get until October. My current on a Tiguan R Line lease ends in August but they offered to extend it at the same rate im paying now. I also considered getting the new Fromentor but after a test drive I found it too low down after being in an SUV and being a bit tight for space. Love the look of it just didn't find it very comforable.

I thought all the newer Cupra Ateca's have the start buttons and cupra button on the steering wheel? Im sure I read somewhere the earlier versions of the face lifted car just didnt have them on? does anyone know if its only the VZ3 version that gets the steering wheel buttons? thanks

Ive just answered my own question looked on the cupra website and it is indeed showing only under the VZ3 spec you get the satellite buttons a bit disappointing as I was sure someone said its supposed to be on all of the cars. oh well.

In my view, the Ateca Cupra is far better than the Formentor, especially on UK spec..

No buttons, these were found to only be contained on the VZ3 which I guess is to add something else to the 'full sport' version. One thing I would like form that package but not for the price is the Brembo's. I have found once or twice I forget the weight behind the vehicle when braking hard... When I ordered mine Oct/Nov last year, there was no VZ1/2/3 so I had no real idea what I was getting until it landed. I got a cheap deal with free paint compared to now prices.

Once the car beds in you'll be very pleased, its a great car!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members