Renault suspended from European Grand Prix... Discuss

J0N

Defected!
After Fernando Alonso loosing a wheel at today's Hungarian Grand Prix
the stewards have suspended Renault from the European round.
I've copy/pasted the below from www.f1fanatics.com

"Having carefully reviewed the available film recordings and radio recordings and having met the team manager twice to discuss the matter the stewards believe:

1. that the competitor knowlingly released car no. 7 from the pit stop position without one of the retaining devices for the wheel nuts being securely in position, this being an indication that the wheel nut itself may not have been properly secured,
2. being aware of this failed to take any action to prevent the car from leaving the pit lane,
3. failed to inform the driver of this problem or to advise him to take appropriate action givent he circumstance,s even though the driver contacted the team by radio believing he had a puncture,
4. this resulted in a heavy car part detaching at Turn 5 and the wheel itself detaching at Turn 9.

Offence: Breach of article 23.1.i and Article 3.2 of the 2009 FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations.

Penalty: The competitor ING Renault F1 Team is suspended from the next event in the 2009 Formula 1 World Championship."

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
mmm on paper you can see the points raised really

mind you what happened to Ferrari's after finish review on the start ?

chungster

SCN Veteran
May 27, 2001
Bedfordshire, UK
Visit site
considering someone died only last sunday due to a stray wheel....it was a bad bad decision by Alonso to try and drive round back to the pits knowing full well that wheel was gonna come off.

andycupra

status subject to change
thats harsh.

there have been a number of occassions where wheels have come off...

But seems they didnt like the way the team handled it?

So what will they do if someone has a minor incident and say the front wing is damaged... will they get suspended for driving round to the pits? - no i dont think so.

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
Not too much to discuss really.

Rules say that the retaining device must be fitted to stop the wheel nut coming loose - it wasn't

Rules say you must not allow your car to leave the pit without the all wheels secure - they let him go.

Rules say if there is a danger of losing a "heavy part" that you must not continue.

Alonso contacted the pits to tell them he thought he had a puncture but they didn't tell him what was wrong and that he should park the car and not continue.

Pretty much clear cut case. Will no doubt get reduced at appeal though.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.