Replacing Lower Suspension Arm

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
Just got a call to say my car has failed its MOT for a number of things including a knackered Front Lower suspension arm.

The quote to do the work being far more than I can afford right now just how hard of a job is it to replace one?

I'm looking at the Haynes (for the Golf) right now and it gives it a 3 Spanner rating but it looks fairly straight forward but I am a novice :( (although it also puts changing disks and pads at 3 spanners too..)

Was hoping to get new EBC Disks and Ferrodo pads end of the month at payday but it failed on the front pads too so it looks like i'll have to settle for cheap ones now :cry:

The Haynes suggests the job is a case of jacking the car up and undoing a few nuts and bolts. Is this really the case or am I going to find myself halfway through the job missing a vital special tool!

I do have a complete set of spanners and sockets and allen keys etc..

Ta :whistle:

Last edited:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
What exactly is worn?
The Ball joint or the swing arm (wish bone)?
If it's the ball joint it can be a PITA, you need a ball joint splitter.
If it's the swing arm (which I doubt) its a very easy swap.

Remember that an MOT retest if you take the car away and do it yourself can be the full price (£53ish) so this needs to be added to the price of fixing it yourself.

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
Out of interest Willie, what is the need for a ball-joint splitter? I have just put new ball joints and track rod ends on and didn't need one? Which part of the job would this have made easier; because it was all a bit of a ball ache - mainly due to rusted on parts shearing!

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
Had a word with the mechanic and he said it was the ball joint on the wishbone and it would be better to replace the whole wishbone.

I did have a look and the wishbone is in a bit of a state anyway. I asked for a breakdown on the invoice and to be fair I can't see the point in me struggling and getting it wrong for the £38 labour they are asking for!

Might save some money and do the pads myself though as they want £33 to do that.

As for taking the car away, this garage is unusual in that they only charge £35 even if you take it away and you don't pay for a fail unless it's older than a 1999. (The pricing on their wall actually does say what you have said at a £53 charge if returning but it's not what they follow nor advertise on their website)

On the plus side perhaps that knocking was the suspension arm and not the CVs after all!

Something always breaks every time I think about spending money on one of my cars!

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Out of interest Willie, what is the need for a ball-joint splitter? I have just put new ball joints and track rod ends on and didn't need one? Which part of the job would this have made easier; because it was all a bit of a ball ache - mainly due to rusted on parts shearing!
After slackening off the swing arm bolts and backing off the ball joint mounting bolt I needed the splitter to press out the ball joint as it was WELL in there. I tried battering it with a hammer but couldn't get a right swing with the restricted room. It came out with a right crack when it did come, I was almost at pooping string breaking point just before it went too, lol
Had a word with the mechanic and he said it was the ball joint on the wishbone and it would be better to replace the whole wishbone.

I did have a look and the wishbone is in a bit of a state anyway. I asked for a breakdown on the invoice and to be fair I can't see the point in me struggling and getting it wrong for the £38 labour they are asking for!

Might save some money and do the pads myself though as they want £33 to do that.

As for taking the car away, this garage is unusual in that they only charge £35 even if you take it away and you don't pay for a fail unless it's older than a 1999. (The pricing on their wall actually does say what you have said at a £53 charge if returning but it's not what they follow nor advertise on their website)

On the plus side perhaps that knocking was the suspension arm and not the CVs after all!

Something always breaks every time I think about spending money on one of my cars!
Yup ball worn ball joints were giving me a nasty knock too, all quiet now:)
At the above price get the whole lot done by them, very good prices TBH

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
Aha; i used a combination of a trolley jack handle as a lever with a big hammer for that part :D

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
Just occured to me one of my MOT advisories was both front tyres. Well one of those was only replaced I think 3-4 months ago!

It's not THAT close to the legal limit anyway but would the knackered suspension arm have caused it to wear quicker? (it appears to be worn evenly)
Might measure the depth tonight because I think it has 5-6mm on it..

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
Well I must have superb eyes, I got home and dug out the vernier calipers. One of my tyres described as being 'close to legal limit' has at its lowest point 5.6mm tread and at it's highest 6.1mm :think:

Unless i'm mistaken these came with 8mm tread and the legal limit is 1.6mm. I suppose it was only an advisory but some people might have work done on that :blink:

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
If your measurements are correct the MOT tester may have been trying to fleece you to buy new tyres.. Changing at 3mm is advised but 1.6mm is the limit as you said, and new tyres do come with 8-9mm of tread so sounds like the MOT tester was chatting sh1t!!

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
Well searching for a thread I came across my own thread for last time!

It's that time again and now the drivers side one has gone. I can't seem to find the arm on EuroCarParts or GSF.
I've booked it into a garage to have it done on Wednesday but they could only quote me for the labour right now. How much is an arm roughly? I seem to rememebr it only being around £30.

Got a split CV boot too... on the other side [:@]

Should I/will I need the tracking done after having this done?

To date I will have had both suspension arms done and the front springs but not had the tracking done yet.

I do hope this improves the feel of the car, doesn't feel like when I bought it any more :(

JamJay

California Bound
Your car will feel horrible once the new arms are done if you don't get laser alignment doen right after. I rencently replaced both of my front arms and the car was virtually undriveable until I had the camber adjusted.