Report to DVLA or not?

mliley01

Nov 26, 2006
Solihull
Last October I bought my TDi FR from Seat Birmingham, part exchanging my LHD Audi TT 180 in the deal. Recently I have received a letter from the DVLA thanking me for letting them know that I no longer own the vehicle. Nothing unusual there I hear you say.
My issue is that when I part ex'd the Audi, it was on a private plate and had been since I had it imported in 2002. The Audi was a 99 model, and I gave the dealer the details of the vehicle based on it being a 99 model (as per all the history and details on VAGCOM when it was serviced). The log book I had showed it as new/first registered in the UK in 2002, which I considered right as it was never registered in the UK before that, only in Germany. I got the p/x price from the dealer for a 99 model, and I had no problem with that as it was a 99 model!
The letter I got from the DVLA has the Audi registered as a 51 plate, so when the dealers (or the traders they sold it to) re-registered it after transferring the private plate they registered it as a 51 and sold it on with a value obviously much higher than they paid me for it!
I partly feel cheated by the dealers as I could have got more for the car as a px against my FR, but mostly I feel sorry for the unaware driver of his new Audi TT 51 plate that is actually driving one a fair bit older, and probably paid over the odds for it!! What should I do?????

Last edited:

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
I would contact the DVLA and let them know. I very much doubt you will get any money from the dealer but at least the DVLA maybe able to correct the problem.

mliley01

Nov 26, 2006
Solihull
Reported to DVLA.. apparently I have to do it in writing. Dont think the girl on the DVLA helpdesk really understood what I was talking about.
Wasnt expecting anything from the dealers.. its more for the new owner. How would you like to buy a 55 plate Cupra and find out later its actually an 03 plate??

Hairy

Oct 17, 2004
Wiltshire
Doesn't the V5 have both the registered and manafactured date? The new plate is missleading but the info should be there in black and white for the new owner to see.

badtastebear

Jan 29, 2007
Berkshire
If you read the DVLA private plate website it states they will not allow cars to be given numbers which makes the car newer so really its their fault for not doing their job properly!!!

seli_babe

Don't Mess....
Nov 22, 2005
Bedfordshire
Contact them and inform them... for 2 reasons...

1) its not right that the dealer should be quids in on it..

and

2) if you paid for a car that wasn't really what you thought it was, how hacked off would you be???

Imagine if the new owner rights it off.. how much hassel will they have when they realise it's not a 51 at all...

simmytt

Dec 2, 2006
midlands
Same thing happened to me, i had a evo 7 imported 2001 so it should have been a y reg, reged it with my own plate came to sell the car put my plate on retension and they issued the car with a 04 plate, so it must be a common thing, the new owner knew all about it i only hope he was as honest as me when he sells it!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.