jezyg

Retro fit auto lights

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
Does this retrofit always need coding in?

The wipers don’t but the auto lights do, but you will have errors if a scan is made if you do not disable the sun sensor after replacing the humidity sensor with the new one.

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
What’s the best kit to buy for the retro fit and where from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadeInYorkshire

Jan 25, 2018
I've just fitted my auto headlight switch today and everything seems to be working okay, apart from the sensitivity. I was driving home this afternoon when everyone else had their headlights on, and I would normally too, but the headlights refused to come on. I therefore manually switched them on, not wanting my experiment to end up in A&E.
Obviously the problem is that in a typical corner of the windscreen position there is too much light getting to the sensor. Is not the answer therefore to position the sensor in a darker location? Alternatively I was wondering if the actual sensor could be covered with some slightly opaque tape just to reduce the amount of light reaching it. I'll experiment over the next few days as I'm sure there's a simple solution to this problem.

Last edited:

MadeInYorkshire

Jan 25, 2018
After a bit of experimenting around yesterday I finally found a location for the sensor that restricts enough of the available light to make it actuate the headlights at the right level of light outside. It's still very discrete, especially when the door is closed and a bonus is that there is no routing of the wire under the windscreen pillar trim to mess around with.

Like previous posters I lost two of the steel spring clips that attach to the plastic dash end panel but managed to fish them out with no trouble.

While driving around yesterday the headlights were coming on for me at sensible outside light levels so I'll see how things go over the next week and decide if any further positioning is required.

One additional bonus (IMHO) is that the dashboard illumination is now permanently on, with the switch in Auto. A downside is that the sat nav display is now in dark mode however I've changed the setting so it's permanently in daytime mode, day and night.

One other thing I've noticed now is that the illuminated headlight symbol does not appear when the headlights are on.

Attachments

• Leon Light Sensor.jpg
    Leon Light Sensor.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 356
Reactions: Wastedagen

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
Not found this to be an issue with the sensor located at the top of the screen TBH.

Sure the headlights won't come-on until it is fairly dark, but that's what is supposed
to happen - the car has DRL's always lit anyway to enable other road users to see
you in both daylight and dusk/twilight conditions.

You may find that by reducing the sensor's sensitivity you are creating another issue
with the headlights coming-on too frequently in the daytime when passing under trees
and suchlike.

MadeInYorkshire

Jan 25, 2018
The front DRL's may be on but are your rear lights?
I was uncomfortable driving around in pretty dark conditions yesterday waiting for the headlights to come on while all around me already had theirs on.

Hi Folks,

Newbie here! I've not long picked up my 65 plate FR 2.0Tdi 3 door with Tech Pack.
Forgive my lack of knowledge on this car - I've just come from a 58 plate CC which was probably too old to have the dash dim function - in any case the dash backlighting came on from the side light switch position. The Leon dims the dash lights unless the switch (which has no AUTO position despite the manual only covering cars with this) is in the dipped position (ie the subject of this thread)
I have a switch in the house with an auto position which I originally intended to fit to the CC (I retrofitted front fogs to it) but never used it. Are all the switches the same pin out?

Given the car knows when to dim the dash lights is a change of sensor necessary as there must be light sensitive device in place to achieve this?

The Amazon retro-fit looks good but not sure if it will allow my dash lights to come on in the sidelight position?

Sorry if this all sounds inane - just getting round to understanding the car I've just bought!!

Gav

wolverine_uk

Oct 18, 2018
I have OBD11 and recently bought both the light light/rain sensor and auto light switch. What are the instructions to program in auto wipers and lights using OBD11 can it be done?
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

davidstarkey11

Jun 7, 2015
Newcastle upon Tyne
So I received my Auto Headlight Switch from eBay 2 weeks after ordering which I'm quite happy about. Got it all plugged in and the actual auto headlight function works fine. Headlights come on about 2 seconds after entering the dark and then go back to DRLs when back in the light. However I can't for the life of me seem to get the Coming/ Leaving Home function to work. I have followed some online instructions (Auto - 0 - Auto etc.) and nothing seems to work. Does anyone who has the same switch have any straight forward way of explaining how to get this to work? Any help would be appreciated!

Apr 4, 2019
Very naive question sorry...

Is this something the insurance company will have to be notified about, and is it likely to up the premium by much, if at all?

Priteshmakanjee

Pritesh91
Jan 26, 2018
West Midlands
I'd also like to know if this switch will work with the 2017 facelift FR?

Received it today and 5 mins to fit it, it works perfectly, only issue is the sensitivity ofcourse..

But also if you have carista, make sure all the options with Auto lights heading is turned on.. will test it out further tonight

Priteshmakanjee

Pritesh91
Jan 26, 2018
West Midlands
So I received my Auto Headlight Switch from eBay 2 weeks after ordering which I'm quite happy about. Got it all plugged in and the actual auto headlight function works fine. Headlights come on about 2 seconds after entering the dark and then go back to DRLs when back in the light. However I can't for the life of me seem to get the Coming/ Leaving Home function to work. I have followed some online instructions (Auto - 0 - Auto etc.) and nothing seems to work. Does anyone who has the same switch have any straight forward way of explaining how to get this to work? Any help would be appreciated!

I’d like to know as I have the same issue