retro fit heated door mirrors

newbuyer17

As per the title really, how easy is this, has anyone done it?

I have an 06 altea with the electric adjustment and even electric folding, but no heating.
The mirror switch has a 0 in between the L and R settings, not the heated symbol.

I remember on old audi's the wiring etc was all present it was just a case of adding the heated glass. Is this the case with the altea? Would it work off the existing switch in the 0 position i.e. is it just the symbol that is different, or are there contacts and wiring missing? Or is it possible to wire it in to the rear screen?

Not hugely bothered if it is a big/expensive job, but for the sake of a couple of heated lenses I'd be interested in doing it. Has anyone else done this?
Thanks

Wizardtm

How's your german.

I know that there is a how-to in german.

The work depends totally on how much work has already been done by Seat. I've done it also with my altea and the only thing I had to do was add two wires from the door to the mirror itself (i've made it myself easy by buying 2 heated mirrors an ebay :) and installed these). After that, it is setting a bit with vagcom and you're finished !
Only thing I didn't do is change the swith in the centerconsole. I found it a waiste of money ! Only difference is the "0" instead of the 'heated mirror' sign.

The link : http://seatforum.de/forum/showthread.php?t=8323
Look for the : EBA: Spiegelheizung nachrüsten (by gti-tdii)

newbuyer17

Thanks, thats exectly the sort of thing I was after.
My german is non existant. Google has translated as best it could.

I think I'd attempt it but only if I didn't have to run any wires from the centre console. Sticking to just the door mirrors I think I could manage.

I guess first step is to check what I have. A couple of questions from your experiences, as some of the traslation isn't great:
1. Which cables need to be present on the door mirror (number and colour). The pic shows 5 wires but some of these must be for the movement controls?
2. So you'd then be looking for grey/purple wire from position 3 of the switch near the gear lever?

Assuming I have wiring in the mirrors and in the switch, do I just need to connect new mirror lense heaters? Is there a reason you bought whole new mirrors? I'm a little confused about this due to language translations and not being able to see it myself?

Also, although you are in a different country, what year was your car? Mine is an 06 just before this was made a 'standard feature' - so I'm even more hopeful I have the wiring. As I said, I even heard stories where everything was there including the lenses, they just hadn't been plugged in. That would be awesome.

Thanks for your help on this. As I said I dont want to take the whole car apart, but if all I have to do is remove a small panel and connect up new lenses then that sounds good.

newbuyer17

One last thing - whats the deal with the airbags? When do I need to switch the battery off - even just for my investigative work? What happens to stereo etc when I plug it back in - is everything still working?

The other issue is the vagcom side of things - I'd need to find someone to do this cheaply.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members