Retrofit a Reverse camera?

Jul 11, 2021
I've got a 2021 Leon FR eHybrid and was wondering if anyone has had a Reverse Camera retrofitted (as these don't come with one as standard)? Any idea on costs, parts, is it a DIY job or should I get an Auto Electrician in? I've had quotes of between £630 and £800 for one that integrates with the built-in screen and am trying to work out if they represent a good deal or not.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
I've got a 2021 Leon FR eHybrid and was wondering if anyone has had a Reverse Camera retrofitted (as these don't come with one as standard)? Any idea on costs, parts, is it a DIY job or should I get an Auto Electrician in? I've had quotes of between £630 and £800 for one that integrates with the built-in screen and am trying to work out if they represent a good deal or not.

Contact @East Yorkshire Retrofits as they may be able to help. They come highly recommended on the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell

Staff member
Weird in this day and age a reversing camera isn't fitted as standard. You need full ultrasound, 360 cameras and radar blind spot on reversing... protects the neck when you get older.... covers all basis. 😍 Slams the brakes on if your partner gets a bit carried away reversing, as well. Never mind front assist, you get reverse assist

It's not DIY

The cameras wire into both ethernet and canbus. The radios are SFD protected meaning you can't code it yourself, and not many companies are able to (luckily, as an independent workshop - we can)

Also I'd hope on a brand new car you'd want genuine parts for a factory finish 👀. The prices of said parts aren't cheap, and there's 0 bartering available with suppliers regardless of order quantity/account value

Reactions: Maypack and Tell

Torque69

Sep 18, 2021
South Birmingham
Well noted!

Do you have any infotainment screen shots of it setup?

Is it 'just' a reversing camera or are there other features which integrate with original software for cross traffic warnings etc?

I'm definitely interested at this stage but frustratingly awaiting my Leon ST ehybrid which looks like being delivered 12 months from ordering last August...🙄

Well noted!

Do you have any infotainment screen shots of it setup?

Is it 'just' a reversing camera or are there other features which integrate with original software for cross traffic warnings etc?

I'm definitely interested at this stage but frustratingly awaiting my Leon ST ehybrid which looks like being delivered 12 months from ordering last August...🙄
It has dynamic guidelines and multiple views (ie directly behind & wide angle for exiting junctions. There's also a towing view for cars with a tow bar)

Blind spot assist integrates with the PDC display, not the camera view.

Yeah they're not in a rush to deliver 😂

Reactions: Torque69

tekfreak

Jan 19, 2022
Solihull, UK
I think @East Yorkshire Retrofits will get a reasonable amount of business gong their way as SEAT, the dealers and VAG are so incompetent :mad: in realising their own customer requirements! Reversing cameras should be standard fit on a 30k+ vehicle .. Sorry I'm still venting at the lies given to me by my own dealer.

The Leon Mk4 is really one of the vehicles most in need of a reversing camera, due to its poor rear visibility ... and SEAT/VAG really should have had a dealer retrofit service, but sadly they missed a trick and therefore small agile retrofit companies will benefit instead :D

Now @East Yorkshire Retrofits have cracked it, this will be the benchmark. Good luck to them (y)

Pictures of retrofitted camera below

Attachments

• IMG_20220204_160729_edit_1692968522975006.jpg
    IMG_20220204_160729_edit_1692968522975006.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_20220204_160609_1.jpg
    IMG_20220204_160609_1.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_20220204_155432.jpg
    IMG_20220204_155432.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 481

tekfreak

Jan 19, 2022
Solihull, UK
Pictures of retrofitted camera below
Nice, although I'm not so keen on the SEAT factory fit camera position, it's gonna get dirty real quick. @East Yorkshire Retrofits do you know if your camera has a hydrophobic coating on the glass?

Makes me wonder if that's the reason SEAT aren't offering on as many as factory model variants (i.e. less customer complaints??). :unsure: Maybe they are desperately trying to adapt the VW golf/passat badge "flip" version for next model year?? I'd certainly have that version in a heartbeat!

Nice, although I'm not so keen on the SEAT factory fit camera position, it's gonna get dirty real quick. @East Yorkshire Retrofits do you know if your camera has a hydrophobic coating on the glass?

Makes me wonder if that's the reason SEAT aren't offering on as many as factory model variants (i.e. less customer complaints??). :unsure: Maybe they are desperately trying to adapt the VW golf/passat badge "flip" version for next model year?? I'd certainly have that version in a heartbeat!
Seat have been fitting cameras in this position on Leon's/Ibiza's for years. It's unlikely they're in a rush to change it, especially to one that's built into the badge as I can't imagine they're particularly cheap to produce

Even on the mk3 Leon, cameras weren't particularly common place. I think it's just somewhere they've seen an opportunity to save money by not fitting them

I doubt the lenses are coated from the factory however there's nothing stopping you doing so 😊

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
The reversing camera on my 2016 Polo GTI was located in a similar position, just above the rear number plate and it did get dirty in wet weather, making for a blurred image on screen. On my current VW (Polo GTI+), the camera is located behind the hatch handle - same as the mk7/mk7.5 and mk8 Golf, so it keeps clean even if the car is very dirty.

I wonder why Seat didn’t go for the same recessed design?

Tell

Staff member
It must be a Seat UK thing not to fit the camera, as in Ireland all models bar the SE come with it as standard.
Brexit... people voted for a poor exchange rate, they didn't get told that, so specs get cut to the bone to remain "competitive". Nearly had some one run over the partner in a car park today, had to yank them out of the way. Driver reversing out of a disable spot.... Probably without a reversing camera or blind spot.

Clean the camera just lick your finger and wipe 😉... polish with another.

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
My last car (Nissan) the reversing camera had a water feed from the rear screen which washed the lens when the rear screen washed - worked reasonably well.

Deleted member 133570

@East Yorkshire Retrofits - is the fitting only available onsite or do you also offer a service where you travel to the customer.
About to pickup a e-hybrid FR next week and looking at options for reverse camera retrofit. Im based in Berkshire unfortunately.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.