Return of the GPS bug (1940)

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
First got the car a year ago, and it was on 1790. Had all the usual SOS errors, and the GPS showing the car was in a position that was anywhere from 5-20 miles away from where it actually was. This was fixed with 1898 and module updates.

Got the update OTA to 1940 last week and it's fixed the reboot issues a minute or so after turning on the ignition, but now the GPS issue has returned only this time a manual reboot of the infotainment doesn't fix it - the car shows exactly where it was before the reboot (about 2 miles away at the moment).

I'm done with Seat, and VAG in general. Should not have this many issues on a relatively new car. Car's going up for sale in the new year...

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021
Wow!!
Last august, while on holidays around north Spain, the second day of travel the signal recognition failed and the gps couldn't find any address I asked for.

It lasted one week, till I was returning home. Dealer said it was the infotainment and with an update to 1940 would be solved.

But one month ago, while driving in the center of Barcelona, the same error appeared again, "there is not available data for this zone" , and the gps set us I was in the Mediterranean sea.

Once again, dealer said was the version of infotainment, and had upgraded it again from 1940 to 1969. I don't think is the but the gps module, that is, the 5F module.

Another person with this issue in his Leon MK4 has had the 5F module replaced but he doesn't want to tell me which dealer was.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 9 Pro mediante Tapatalk

Reactions: Alex667

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
CarPlay, but in CarPlay mode it takes its GPS signal from the car not the phone, so it starts off correct but then ends up miles away after a few seconds.

I normally run the built in maps in the cockpit (when not using Google for directions) just to show traffic easier which is why I saw it going wonky.

Last edited:

SamuelDonuts

Jan 6, 2017
Midlands
If you're doing CarPlay wirelessly, try using a cable - it solved the issue for me. If it is connected by cable, I also found that it can happen if the phone loses signal - opening Google Maps on the phone itself (if safe to do so) remedies it.

Apr 22, 2023
I also had this issue with a 2021 Golf Mk8 - so annoying as wireless car play forces the phone to use the GPS location from the phone. On the Golf with Travel assist, that had a particular quirk of making the car slam on breaks on the motorway as it would predictively break for a junction on the route it was tracking rather than the road you are on... At best, the GPS was always 5-10 meters behind the car's actual location.

Mine typically would do one of two things - drift a random amount of miles and follow a parallel route i.e. at least follow the right direction, or it would follow the distance travelled in a random direction, like you'd drive north, it would track south.

Two things fixed it - a hard reboot of the infotainment but again, sometimes that did not work, or more often than not, it would correct itself after a series of SOS assist unavailable, Front Assist unavailable messages.

In the end, that specific car spent 1 week for each of six months at the dealer for attempts to resolve this and other issues, and ultimately, I was refunded the sale price in the end as VW would not allow the dealer to change any hardware under warranty and insisted the dealer repeatedly try to reinstall software/component firmware.

Feb 26, 2024
i had this problem where the the maps was telling me i was somewhere else when using apple carplay, and an sos error would come on the dash, when i turned the car off and back on i wouldnt be able to use the infotainment system for the rest of the journey it would just show a black loading screen, i read online to set your privacy to maximum privacy because it was an issue with the car losing signal and not knowing where it is or somehting of that nature, since turning the car to maximum privacy in the profile settings all the issues have gone and not returned, this was around a month ago, to remove the sos light, i held the red sos button for around a minute, then when it says making emergency call, press cancel on the infotainment screen, turn car off and back on and light should be gone.

Feb 26, 2024
i had this problem where the the maps was telling me i was somewhere else when using apple carplay, and an sos error would come on the dash, when i turned the car off and back on i wouldnt be able to use the infotainment system for the rest of the journey it would just show a black loading screen, i read online to set your privacy to maximum privacy because it was an issue with the car losing signal and not knowing where it is or somehting of that nature, since turning the car to maximum privacy in the profile settings all the issues have gone and not returned, this was around a month ago, to remove the sos light, i held the red sos button for around a minute, then when it says making emergency call, press cancel on the infotainment screen, turn car off and back on and light should be gone.
there was also a loud cracking noise coming from the central speakers every couple of drives, this also went away since changing to maximum privacy.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.