rev range

danwfr

Feb 21, 2008
Tredegar, south wales
hey guys, this might sound stupid but how many rpm do you rev your cars to because i reved mine past 4500 to day and when i lifted off the throttle the revs stayed quite high for a few moments, is this normal?

sssstew

Editing your spelling
Theres no real point in revving TDIs over say 4000, as after that they tend to drop off quite quickly, so for faster progress a gear change at 4k makes the best progress.

As for the revs staying quite high this shouldnt happen. Can you explain a bit more, do you mean the idle was a bit high?

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
Mine did it before the remap and still does it now. Suspect its a feature of the heavy dmf.
I am not worried about mine Dan
Glynn

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
i i give mine some stick, it seems as tho ur on a moto x bike (if u owned or have one u know what i mean )

when powerband kicks in , you change up a gear and ur straight back into powerband on the next gear
ive never had a turbod car before , so assume it just the turbo already boosting
tell me if i got it wrong and talking brown stuff !

danwfr

Feb 21, 2008
Tredegar, south wales
Mine did it before the remap and still does it now. Suspect its a feature of the heavy dmf.
I am not worried about mine Dan
Glynn

i'll stop worrying about mine now and i won't rev it so high again

i i give mine some stick, it seems as tho ur on a moto x bike (if u owned or have one u know what i mean )

when powerband kicks in , you change up a gear and ur straight back into powerband on the next gear
ive never had a turbod car before , so assume it just the turbo already boosting
tell me if i got it wrong and talking brown stuff !

i've had motorcross bikes since i was 4 so i know the powerband quite well, i'll give it a booting later on and see if i get the same effect

LoDa

Oct 12, 2008
Southampton
I think that is your car telling you to stop nailing it! :) as ssstew said, the power band is in the middle for Derv and at the top of the range in Petrol. You will accelerate better if you change gear earlier.

p.s. I've done my clutch in by not letting it bite through the peak torque range so be carefull!

danwfr

Feb 21, 2008
Tredegar, south wales
I think that is your car telling you to stop nailing it! :) as ssstew said, the power band is in the middle for Derv and at the top of the range in Petrol. You will accelerate better if you change gear earlier.

p.s. I've done my clutch in by not letting it bite through the peak torque range so be carefull!

i thought it might have been to warn me to stop nailing it, every time i drive my car hard (not very often) i always wait till im over 2000 rpm before i nail it due to having clutch slip and the dmf shake bad after the remap

TornadoRed

Aug 22, 2004
Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
hey guys, this might sound stupid but how many rpm do you rev your cars to because i reved mine past 4500 to day and when i lifted off the throttle the revs stayed quite high for a few moments, is this normal?

If you've been babying your TDI, it is possible that some engine oil had collected in the bottom of the intercooler. Then when you revved it up to 4500 rpm, this oil was blown out of the intercooler and was combusted. So even though you lifted off the accelerator pedal, engine oil was providing fuel to keep the engine running at high rpm for a second or two.

The solution is, don't baby your TDI engine. Give it a good workout regularly, and there won't be anything in the intercooler.

malcpw

Agree with the comments about changing up at say 4k. You'll then be in the more useful torque range after the change, but some times, like when over taking, it's useful even safer to hang onto a gear for longer.

If it continues to produce power when you've come off the load pedal I would go with TornadoRed's comment that you may be running on oil picked up from the intercooler. This would be more likely if you're not in the habit of regularly using the engine's performance more fully. Oil will have more opportunity to accumulate or pool in the intercooler.

Off topic - but only a little.

Why does it seem that turboed diesels are prone to oil in the intake. My recent experience with diesel turboed vehicles -BMW 118, Ford Connect, Peugeot 306, Renault Van and Seat Ibiza all have this issue. Yet petrol turboed engines, if the turbo is OK, don't have this problem. Possible reason more piston blow by because of higher compression pressure therefore more crankcase pressure = more oil out of breather into inlet side if turbo compressor. Would a catch tank in the breather resolve the issue??

Malcolm