Reverse camera not working?

Oct 17, 2022
Hey folks,

I got my Leon back in July, and since getting it the reverse camera hasn't worked at all. When putting it into reverse gear, all I get is a black screen with the park pilot overlay (no steering overlay). As far as I know, the camera is from factory and wasn't declared as a modification.

I'm due a service in a few weeks and was going to bring it up then, however if I can troubleshoot it myself, may as well save myself a few £££.

Anyone encountered similar, or know where to start looking?

Car: Seat Leon SE 5F Facelift (18 plate)

andye1

Oct 15, 2005
If it's a dealer supplied retrofit camera it may be a faulty camera. Mine failed after a few months and it was water ingress into the cheap quality camera. I fitted a better camera and been fine ever since.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
You could try doing a factory reset on the infotainment system, it's somewhere in the menus, you will of course lose any settings that you have set.
Also do a soft reset, hold down power button until the speakers pop and system restarts.

Oct 17, 2022
You could try doing a factory reset on the infotainment system, it's somewhere in the menus, you will of course lose any settings that you have set.
Also do a soft reset, hold down power button until the speakers pop and system restarts.
Tried this, to no avail. Think it's more hardware than software.

Don't have a head unit remover tool to hand to check the wiring harness, nor the space to take the rear bumper off to take a look. Might just have to leave it to the garage next week.

mykro

Apr 12, 2022
my retrofitted chinese camera highline - sometimes it has outage of picture for 2seconds ... randomly, is this known problem ?

Jun 5, 2023
My reversing camera display is very dim for the camera image and the line overlay. Is this a camera fault as I presume the lines are added by electronics behind the dash?

Attachments

• IMG_6459.jpeg
    IMG_6459.jpeg
    600.1 KB · Views: 119

adambolus

Apr 2, 2011
Ripley, Derbyshire
My reversing camera display is very dim for the camera image and the line overlay. Is this a camera fault as I presume the lines are added by electronics behind the dash?
Did you ever get this fixed?
Mine has started doing it, was intermittent and now permanent,

Read it could be something to do with the gear selector microswitch?

adambolus

Apr 2, 2011
Ripley, Derbyshire
Here you can see my issues with my screen. Had to turn the brightness and contrast fully up just to see anything.

Read about the gear microswitch sometimes failing on alot of VW cars and there is a fix part.
5q0-713-128-a
It's basically an external microswitch released by VW so you don't have to change the gearbox.
Thinking about buying to see if it fixes my issue or not 🤔

PXL_20230907_171924498.jpg
PXL_20230907_171949699.jpg

Screenshot_20230907-185005.png

andye1

Oct 15, 2005
More than likely it's the camera. Mine went darker and cloudy because of water ingress. Fitted a new camera and it's fine now.

adambolus

Apr 2, 2011
Ripley, Derbyshire
More than likely it's the camera. Mine went darker and cloudy because of water ingress. Fitted a new camera and it's fine now.
I would have normally said the same, but it was strange how when car was in reverse I accidentally leant on the dsg gear selector pushing it sideways and the screen came back to full brightness and view. Hence I think the issue is gear selector end

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.