Reverse Mufflerectomy?

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Is this possible? I want a backbox back on as the drone noises are really starting to get on my tit ends now. I hate it! I get some wierd resonating noises at certain MPH, kids are complaining of 'buzzing' heads after a medium/long journey.

When the exhaust people do the mufflerectomy do they take the back section out and replace with straight pipe or is it a case of cut the pipe where they want to make it easier for them?

What I'm trying to say is can I goto a scrappers and get a 150PD back section and swap it straight over for my dronerectomy?

I have no plans for any extra power now, going to keep the car for a couple more years and possibly upgrade to the Audi flavours. So I dont see any point in getting Milltek/Piper as i'd gain no gains from it (apart from looks).

Does anyone know if a reverse mufflerectomy is possible or do I need a full new exhaust?

T. Spark

Your fine mate, you could just ask for another back box at a exhaust place, or find a older exhaust from a PD150, if you know someone local in the area with a Leon TDi, ask to swop...

Mar 8, 2007
This is why I got a proper exhaust system with a sports backbox.

Quiet as a mouse between 2k and 3k.

Loud as feck when booting.

BenO

Mar 9, 2008
East Yorkshire
That looks just like the PD150 back box but with discrete pipes to me.

But then it must be the one if it says 110KW?

Last edited:

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
try me exhaust, drones at 900rpm, loud as f*** at 5000rpm. Everything inbetween is just NOISE! I love it. I always wanted the best exhaust for the car, and the noise was irrelevant as long as it worked. Just seems to be the best one is the loudest (big bore downpipe and about 6 foot of 2.5" exhaust to a side exit under the car)

BenO

Mar 9, 2008
East Yorkshire
But did they even do the 150 with discreet pipes, I've emailed the seller but no reply as yet.

No I dont think the 150 model came with discete pipes, i guess its the same box but with different exits just added on? Maybe they couldnt be bothered to draw that one.

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
it is probably for the mk4 golf , the same engine and zorts just some came with the box hidden behind the bumper ,

also why not put in the classified section to see if anyone would want to swap, as said some love the noise etc , just shows the family man in you ,!!!

i want one but thinking milteck resonated with the decat and turbo back, just hope its not really noisy , want a sleeper :-o, (coughs : family hatchback :whistle:[B)] )

but someone will swapp you , there for cutting your costs down ,

if i didnd have a young nipper i , prop would have but , thats why i dot rid of my 4-2-1 decat mani for my ford

Last edited:

T. Spark

try me exhaust, drones at 900rpm, loud as f*** at 5000rpm. Everything inbetween is just NOISE! I love it. I always wanted the best exhaust for the car, and the noise was irrelevant as long as it worked. Just seems to be the best one is the loudest (big bore downpipe and about 6 foot of 2.5" exhaust to a side exit under the car)

Where did you get that done, and at what cost? Its something I need to look into, what gains did you see?

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
Where did you get that done, and at what cost? Its something I need to look into, what gains did you see?

Local exhaust place. Cost me £60 :cartman: Basically he had some very large exhaust pipe lying about - 3" in diameter. It was slightly compacted in a vice to make it more oval and further from the ground, then just mounted using a single mount, and welded to my existing big bire downpipe, utlisiting another section. Didn't take long, and a real bargain.

True gains will be realised in time but at the moment the only gain is the bloody NOISE! It sounds lovely on full boost and the car generally feels a little keener than it did with the old exhaust on.

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
Devonutopia,

You got any videos of your car with the nex exhaust at full chat?
Seen the tickover but would love to hear some drivebys.

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Top bloke!

Nice find.....shall watch this!!

Well what a waster!

I won the exhaust for £99 - went over to collect it, looked in really good condition until we carried it out to my car, and in daylight I noticed a hole in the backbox like someone had put a tin-opener to it.

Geeza told me it wouldnt make any difference as its just the backbox casing, told me I should still buy it as the CAT is worth £60 on its own.

Got £100 sat here now, and thinking about all the quotes I've had from garages for the standard backbox putting back on I may aswel just spend another £50 and get a Milltek/Piper CAT back.

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
What a total barsteward!.... Failed to ommit that one in the Ad.

I think its worth going the extra £50 for the new box.

Didn't know you were after a standard box/system. Shame you weren't a bit closer as you could have had my lot for a £100.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members