Reversing Camera Blind Spots?

Wattser

Jan 30, 2021
Hi all,

I have yet to receive my Formentor VZ2 which is due for March delivery at the mo. I forgot to test the reverse camera during my test drive (prior to lockdown) and my nearest dealer is currently closed. Whilst reversing (my current car is a Merc) I can switch the camera so it shows oncoming traffic from either side of the vehicle. Does the Formentor reverse Cam has similar capability? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Reactions: jcbmally and Syphon

Wattser

Jan 30, 2021
I can switch the rear view camera to show oncoming traffic from either side of the my car for when I am reversing out onto busy roads etc. I was wondering if the Formentor has a similar camera system. Thanks

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
I can switch the rear view camera to show oncoming traffic from either side of the my car for when I am reversing out onto busy roads etc. I was wondering if the Formentor has a similar camera system. Thanks
The Formentor has radar in the rear bumper that picks up oncoming traffic when reversing, when it does a "bong" noise is heard. The camera is wide angle and looks a bit weird at first but you do see traffic. You can change some settings depending on whether your parking parallel or in a bay, but it isn't 360 view.

Reactions: Wattser

Wattser

Jan 30, 2021
The Formentor has radar in the rear bumper that picks up oncoming traffic when reversing, when it does a "bong" noise is heard. The camera is wide angle and looks a bit weird at first but you do see traffic. You can change some settings depending on whether your parking parallel or in a bay, but it isn't 360 view.
Thanks for this. Sounds like I have nothing to worry about. Cheers

Reactions: jcbmally

ninja_geezer

May 16, 2021
UK
is the camera a nice clear image ? my BMW is very good a lot better than my golf R mk 7 i had .i am hoping the formentor is better than that or at least as good as the BMW.my car is on order .

AndyCupra93

Apr 21, 2021
I’m very impressed with the camera quality, much better than my Nissan Leaf one. I also love that it has its own washer jet when activating the rear window washer. All vehicle cameras should have this IMO.

Wattser

Jan 30, 2021
is the camera a nice clear image ? my BMW is very good a lot better than my golf R mk 7 i had .i am hoping the formentor is better than that or at least as good as the BMW.my car is on order .
I am not that impressed with the camera. I have switched from a Merc CLC and the camera on the Merc was much much better with a clearer image quality.

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
Yes, it's definitely worse than in my last Mercedes, which was also 360. But it's not far off from standard Audi camera from 2017. Fish eye mode is quite useful for reversing out of parking spot in busy supermarket.

Reactions: Wattser

ninja_geezer

May 16, 2021
UK
cheers for the info will have to wait and see,there was a picture put on here of a dashcam image and that was clearly a broken/faulty camera it was shocking.
looked like someone had smeared Vaseline over the lens.

Wattser

Jan 30, 2021
cheers for the info will have to wait and see,there was a picture put on here of a dashcam image and that was clearly a broken/faulty camera it was shocking.
looked like someone had smeared Vaseline over the lens.
Its not that bad, but it could be better, I'll upload an image for you in 5 mins

Reactions: ninja_geezer

Wattser

Jan 30, 2021
Reverse Cam.jpg

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
Bigger problem is at night. Rear light is not strong and you lose a lot of visibility. I guess that is to be expected.

What I do like about the camera is that you can switch to fish eye mode and you are able to effectively see 180 degrees - very useful for reversing out and peeking - I know the car has warning for traffic but it eases my mind to be able to see it. This fish eye mode is not immediately obvious as the options are hidden, move your hand close to the screen and the buttons will appear (can be seen in the photo Wattser shared).

ninja_geezer

May 16, 2021
UK
Bigger problem is at night. Rear light is not strong and you lose a lot of visibility. I guess that is to be expected.

What I do like about the camera is that you can switch to fish eye mode and you are able to effectively see 180 degrees - very useful for reversing out and peeking - I know the car has warning for traffic but it eases my mind to be able to see it. This fish eye mode is not immediately obvious as the options are hidden, move your hand close to the screen and the buttons will appear (can be seen in the photo Wattser shared).
Cool .thanks

ozzrahog

Jun 24, 2018

I didn't know about the fish eye, thanks for the info

Yes the Formentor has this type of camera, If your car has one fitted. You can switch between 2 views (3 if you have a genuine towbar)

VWAG have had this feature in their cameras for a fair few years

Area view (360° cameras) is now an option on the Formentor.

Depending on the trim level, you may also have blind spot assist meaning radar in the rear bumper. This can detect oncoming vehicles whilst you're reversing or as you're planning to open your door after parking

We can also retrofit it for those who missed out on the option

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members