Reversing Lights

4-candles

May 27, 2006
Kent
New SC 1.6 Sport picked up yesterday. So far so good, love the car, only 2 minor items.
First is Mirror adjustment knob gets caught when turning lights on/off.

Other is the pathetic Reversing light. My old C2 was like 2 flood lights out the back.
Should only 1 of the lights actually work, and is it supposed to be so dim ?

NorthWalesPie

Hi,
We have a 1.4SE Ibiza (58 plate) and it has 2 working reversing lights which are really bright.
It does seem that some models have 1 light and some have 2 - no idea why.

Cheers

Steve

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Hi have a 19tdi sport 2009 I have only 1 Reversing light, have looked at my daughters 14 se 2009 and she has only 1 Reversing light. and not very bright hopes this helps.

Chaza123

I also have the 1.6 TDI and yes it does only have one reversing light I have no gripes with it.

NorthWalesPie

Just been to check ours - it does have 2 working lights - must be because it is an early model (November 2008).
Steve

4-candles

May 27, 2006
Kent
Okay, last resort, read the manual.
It shows that only 1 reverse lamp one side, and 1 fog lamp the other, even though it has holders both sides. (bulbs reversed for left hand drive).

Any one taken the Lamps off yet to see if the extra bulbs can be fitted ?

NorthWalesPie

Just been to my 1.4SE (Nov 58) and not only does it have 2 reversing lights but also 2 rear fog lights.

I am confused now - but it doesn't take much :D

Last edited by a moderator:

John33

Oct 12, 2009
Earth
Our 1.6 Sport on a 59 plate has 2 reversing lights and 2 rear fog lights. Just done 1k miles in it as its our second car and we are very pleased with it up to yet. :clap:

4-candles

May 27, 2006
Kent
I aggree it has 2 of each, but only 1 of each has a bulb, which aligns with the handbook :shrug:

The SC is my work car. We also have an Altea 2.0TDI as the family car. Had it 6 months and well pleased. No reasons to complain at all. Hope the SC is as good.

Thanks all for responding. Looks like an undocumented 'change' in the model years (mine is a 2010)

jamjar

Jul 6, 2009
I aggree it has 2 of each, but only 1 of each has a bulb, which aligns with the handbook :shrug:

The SC is my work car. We also have an Altea 2.0TDI as the family car. Had it 6 months and well pleased. No reasons to complain at all. Hope the SC is as good.

Thanks all for responding. Looks like an undocumented 'change' in the model years (mine is a 2010)

Hi,

Our 59 plate 1.6 SE dsg which we got middle of October has two working reverse lights & two working fog lights.:happy:

Puzzling why some models have only one reversing & fog light & other models have
two? :confused:

Maybe a dealer can throw some light on this differences?

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
I'm pretty sure that the 5 door models have 2 and the SC has 1 also the reverse light only serves as a warning to other that the car is in reverse - not an aid to the driver.

You cannot fit another bulb in the other side because its blanked off - it can apparently be activated via dealership equipment.

NorthWalesPie

That must be right. As I have said above I have 2 working reversing and 2 working fog lights on a 5 door 1.4 se.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
The hole where the bulb fits is not machined out on the bulb holder and has no contacts and the cluster has a blanking plate bonded to it. Alot of new functions require activation on new models due to the strict voltage regulation and monitoring which would bring on the "bulb out" light if you were to wire another one up directly to the single one already there.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.