Revo Remap and Rolling Road - Heat Soak?

James_LCR

Aug 1, 2008
Dorset
Evening all,

I had my car on the rolling road day today, and it saw 223.5 BHP with 209 lbf-ft as standard.

I then had my car remapped (Revo Stage 1). After, we then put it back on the rollers and taken it for a spin with vag-com making sure the boost and timing etc was all correct, which it was.

This time on the rollers the car saw a max of 235bhp and 245 lbf-ft before the boost dropped off due to heat soak (at a max 70 degrees intake temp) and the ecu knocked off the boost.

Has anyone else had this? Moved the fan in closer, still no joy. Apparently the technicians have seen this before on another cupra r, TT, octavia.

The car feel and pulls lot faster etc. But I have 2 weeks to make up my mind to keep or get it taken off and get my money back.

Im running boost at 9 on the revo settings and have yet to change to the yellow spring.

Any thoughts guys?

Cheers

Jun 16, 2008
got the same problem here mate (if you can call it a problem?)

ive seen max 240bhp, torque 250-255

The thing is, the car pulls very nicely, so im starting to think whether all these figures are just pub talk and if i really care about them...

what boost and timing settings are u using?

James_LCR

Aug 1, 2008
Dorset
what boost and timing settings are u using?

I'm running max boost (setting 9) and the timing to match. Whilst taking it for a spin we had vag-com connected for real-time analysis and all looked ok and drove well...But on the road the boost dropped off...

I've got the graphs for before and after if anyones interested?

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
I'm running max boost (setting 9) and the timing to match. Whilst taking it for a spin we had vag-com connected for real-time analysis and all looked ok and drove well...But on the road the boost dropped off...

I've got the graphs for before and after if anyones interested?
I'm interested, sounds like you set your boost too high inconjunction with inadequate RR cooling fans.

Jun 16, 2008
my highest figures were actually from boost 7 or 8.

something to consider mate :)

James_LCR

Aug 1, 2008
Dorset
Standard Map - Run 1

RollingRunStandard.jpg

Revo Stage 1 Map - Run 3 - Boost at 9, timing ? (Very Low Reading - intake temp at 70 degrees)

RollingRunStage1.jpg

Still running standard green spring in forge 007p, run taken on with fan up close to left hand intercooler.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
What fuel are you using?
Try doing a ECU reset and give it a few days for the ECU to adapt to the new settings.
Intake temps of 70 degrees is more than I've heard of before.
The fan musty have been totally inadequate.

How old is you air filter?

James_LCR

Aug 1, 2008
Dorset
What fuel are you using?
Try doing a ECU reset and give it a few days for the ECU to adapt to the new settings.
Intake temps of 70 degrees is more than I've heard of before.
The fan musty have been totally inadequate.

How old is you air filter?

Im using Tesco's Super Unleaded (99) and always have done. Obivously going to keep to the super unleaded / good stuff from now on too.

Well the cars feels good and pulls very well, its just seems the figures from the road dont add up really. 70 degrees was at very max, and we obivouslyu stopped and let the car cool wit hthe fans on for a good 15/20 mins.

The air box is drilled and smoothed but I'm still running the standard panel filter. BUt seemed to great good results on standard map with it though?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Im using Tesco's Super Unleaded (99) and always have done. Obivously going to keep to the super unleaded / good stuff from now on too.

Well the cars feels good and pulls very well, its just seems the figures from the road dont add up really. 70 degrees was at very max, and we obivouslyu stopped and let the car cool wit hthe fans on for a good 15/20 mins.

The air box is drilled and smoothed but I'm still running the standard panel filter. BUt seemed to great good results on standard map with it though?
Ah so theres your problem.
The drilled holes will be easier to suck air through than the actual air feed, so when you were on the RR you were sucking in hot air from the engine bay.

To cool down you intake temperatures your better off driving as the cold air passing this will cool it down, sitting and letting the car idle will do the opposite.

The best time to go onto the RR is straight after along run, your intake manifold will be cold and so will your SMIC's

James_LCR

Aug 1, 2008
Dorset
Ah so theres your problem.
The drilled holes will be easier to suck air through than the actual air feed, so when you were on the RR you were sucking in hot air from the engine bay.

To cool down you intake temperatures your better off driving as the cold air passing this will cool it down, sitting and letting the car idle will do the opposite.

The best time to go onto the RR is straight after along run, your intake manifold will be cold and so will your SMIC's

That seems to make sense as I have just driven for about 45mins to the RR and I was the first car on (hence good results for standard map) and for the second runs the car had been sat around for a while. The fan wasn't the most powerful either.

I wanted to keep the standard airbox due to looking OEM, but would you recommend and different air filter, open cone etc?

The car does feel completely different so I'm happy, but if its not running right, then i would like to get in sorted.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Na the air box is almost the best set up you can get but get a new freer flowing panel filter in there and all will be well.

also if you can get access to vag com get the MAF reading logged in 4th gear from 2,000 RPM's to red line.
That'll let you see how things are going

DJ-LIAMC

VAGisclean
May 31, 2009
Loughborough
I got 235bhp too on my revo stage 1, using drilled and smoothed airbox with green cotton panel filter, tech guy said i was only on low settings boost 5/6 timing 5/6 so might ask to get it reconfigured see if that helps.

James_LCR

Aug 1, 2008
Dorset
Ok so this isnt something I should be really worried by then? But I would still like to get the vag-com readings.

Would you recommend using the yellow spring too, due to the up-rated boost pressure?

RS6

Nov 24, 2009
how much did it cost you btw are you running any extra equipment to change from standard map to revo map

the predicted gains on the leaflet i picked up are supposed to be allot higher?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.