REVO vs APR (differences in potential gains)

Jun 26, 2008
Just round the corner.
What we need is a rolling road session, and get as many cars as possible to see who does what on the day. Yes people will say it should be held here or there, on this type of roller or other.
Then take the results as a guide and not gospel!

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
What we need is a rolling road session, and get as many cars as possible to see who does what on the day. Yes people will say it should be held here or there, on this type of roller or other.
Then take the results as a guide and not gospel!

Why not organise a rolling road shoot out at a known conservative place like Jkm for instance and see who turns up , bound to be x number of Revo cars and x number of APR cars and the rest will
Come out of the woodwork as well.
Then the results will be in black and white , no arguments as long as apples are compared with apples.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
People have different bolt ons so still wouldn't be a fair test

But it would still be easy to compare apples to apples.
There won't be that much of a difference between exhaust systems , the cat is the restrictive bit , a cai will affect maybe 3-4 bhp between the different makes.
an added or upgraded maybe the only oddity in the test

so as long as stage 1 , stage 2 and stage 2+ cars are compared against each other , the results and out come should be pretty consistent.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
As long as its DD roller (i think they are more reliable and accurate) then i dont think people would mind and of course a neutral one which APR and REVO didnt use for R and D.

There are plenty around , South , Midlands and North

Adman77

Audre Est Facre
Feb 13, 2012
Hertfordshire
It's already been stated the stage 1's may or may not actually make 300. Argument being they only about 295. So there's already a debate over 5bhp. So to quote 'cai's will only vary 3-4 BHP' there's already an argument whether its fair testing.
Of course you can rough ideas but surely the whole point of a shoot out would be to find the 'once and for all!'

I think the ultimate test would be:
Neutral dyno
3 cars
Same/no bolt ons
Different maps tried on all 3 cars back to back
Take an average figure from 3 cars

Can't see any other way of getting a true once and for all test. Otherwise (as we all know) you will still get people waving willies over having and extra 2bhp than you

Last edited:

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Mine VS Wee G would be an easy comparison if i fit the VWR intake and Exhaust before hand cars will then pretty much be exactly the same

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
It's already been stated the stage 1's may or may not actually make 300. Argument being they only about 295. So there's already a debate over 5bhp. So to quote 'cai's will only vary 3-4 BHP' there's already an argument whether its fair testing.
Of course you can rough ideas but surely the whole point of a shoot out would be to find the 'once and for all!'

I think the ultimate test would be:
Neutral dyno
3 cars
Same/no bolt ons
Different maps tried on all 3 cars back to back
Take an average figure from 3 cars

Can't see any other way of getting a true once and for all test. Otherwise (as we all know) you will still get people waving willies over having and extra 2bhp than you

But if you go by that logic you will never fully get a fair result , because you could bring engine tolerances into the frame , on the day temperature and humidity , grade of fuel that's used.
And even if it's a linear map or standard map , torque values will be different across the rev range.
There are so many variables !
I don't think people are going to worry about 2-3 bhp unless they are dicks , I'm certainly not , but it would be very interesting to know if there is 10-20 bhp and a big difference in torque and where the torque sits in the rev range.
What we really need is one of the big mags to hold a APR v REVO shoot out but I would doubt either company would go for it especially with the bad blood from the past !

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
only way to get a fair result would be to change the software on the same car

Adman77

Audre Est Facre
Feb 13, 2012
Hertfordshire
I meant 3 cars all testing an apr map and a revo map on each back to back. Take an average that way it's cancels out all variables. Can't get a fairer test

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
I meant 3 cars all testing an apr map and a revo map on each back to back. Take an average that way it's cancels out all variables. Can't get a fairer test

Yep that would be fair, but i would also recommend Logging to see how said cars are achieving power, after all you don't want something that's going to be detrimental to the engine

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Yep that would be fair, but i would also recommend Logging to see how said cars are achieving power, after all you don't want something that's going to be detrimental to the engine

You wouldn't be able to do this , there will not be enough time for the ecu to adapt to the conditions and settings to get the full benefit.

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
You wouldn't be able to do this , there will not be enough time for the ecu to adapt to the conditions and settings to get the full benefit.

I thought high speed logging was possible (please correct me if I am wrong)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.