Revo vs Superchips vs Quantum Remap

chris_brown

Sep 3, 2020
Hi guys,

I'm getting a stage 1 Revo remap over the next couple of weeks, but have a couple of questions first.

From my understanding, the one for my car (1.4 150bhp) it's the "standard + 3 tuning settings".
  • Setting #1 on your SPS sets your vehicle to stock
  • Setting #2 on your SPS sets your vehicle to Revo Performance mode A (Tuned for lower octane pump fuel/poor operating conditions e.g:95ron)
  • Setting #3 on your SPS sets your vehicle to Revo Performance mode B (Tuned for high octane pump fuel/good operating conditions e.g:98ron)
  • Setting #4 on your SPS sets your vehicle to Revo Performance mode C (Tuned for high octane fuel/ideal operating conditions e.g:100ron)
In reality I only fill my car up with normal petrol (not the ultimate stuff), so I'm very unlikely to have it on anything other than "Setting #2" (178bhp).

Q1 - Is it worthwhile paying the £400 + VAT when it's only going to be on 1 setting for life?
Q2 - If I put it on "Setting #3" whilst only using the normal fuel (e.g. I want to show off, go for a blat down a nice A road, etc), what is likely to happen?

Any help would be much appreciated

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
TBH, if your only using 95, I wouldn't bother getting a remap. Plus, to change settings you have to have the engine off, you can't just change it whilst driving cause it's effectively flashing a byte in the ecu. If you use the map designed for 98 ron with only 95 in the tank, the engine will likely pull timing and reduce horsepower drastically anyway.

chris_brown

Sep 3, 2020
TBH, if your only using 95, I wouldn't bother getting a remap. Plus, to change settings you have to have the engine off, you can't just change it whilst driving cause it's effectively flashing a byte in the ecu. If you use the map designed for 98 ron with only 95 in the tank, the engine will likely pull timing and reduce horsepower drastically anyway.
Normal UK petrol is 95 ron so it should run at circa 178bhp.

I would like the remap as this is the lowest power car I have owned (by at least 150bhp) and the extra 30 horses will make a difference.

The only issue I have is that I can get a remap for considerably less that will do a similar job, but from a company that's not as reputable (e.g. More BHP, Quantum Tuning, Top Gear, etc).
The Top Gear remap I had on my Audi TTS was actually really good, and it made a massive difference in Torque. I am therefore tempted to just get this again.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
From Revo's website:
1603207140409.png

Generally the '95 setting on the Revo SPS is for when your out somewhere that doesn't have 98 / 99 available so you can get home.

chris_brown

Sep 3, 2020
From Revo's website:
View attachment 19295

Generally the '95 setting on the Revo SPS is for when your out somewhere that doesn't have 98 / 99 available so you can get home.
I used Shell V-Power in my Focus RS for over a year and it made no difference to the car (as far as I could tell), but cost me A LOT more over that period.

I surely can't be the only one that uses 'normal' petrol that has a remap?

All I'm wondering is if the Revo name is worth paying the £480 based on just using 1 setting?

UnworthyBean

Dec 6, 2019
Is the dongle not an extra £100 on top of the map?

As for the map itself, for such a small gain I wouldn't bother. I paid for a Revo map on my 184 but the gains are substantial on those.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I'm no mechanic or tuner but my understanding was that when going for a remap the idea was to make sure you'd got rid of any 95/97 Ron fuel and use 98/99 Ron..

Just got this from R-Tech website

Using the wrong cheaper low RON fuel is will lose you mpg and power even with the stock factory power. To get the best safe power you must run decent higher ron fuel above 98ron. V-power Nitro or Tesco 99 will give the best results and we will only tune if the car is running 98+ and the owner has full intention to use it all the time. It is false economy to use cheaper low RON fuel on a tuned engine.

Personally from what I've read I'd look into getting some V-Power into it then get the remap, if nothing else I'm sure the higher Ron fuel helps keep the engine clean

Just my 2 pence lol

Reactions: Legojon

Astrasignumleonowner

Oct 2, 2020
Im Going to try a tuning box 2.0 petrol turbo astra. Used them on all my dervs and not had any horror stories to tell so I'm going to speak with dtuk as I k ow they have started doing petrol tuning box now too, or was I dreaming that..

chris_brown

Sep 3, 2020
Having done some more research on Revo, I think I am very unlikely to use it to the potential it's supposed to be used at, so I'm now looking at alternatives.

The one that's caught my eye is the Superchips remap (not the Bluefin)... however, the Superchips reviews are awful.
Has anyone got experience with the remap as 99% of the reviews are based on their customer service or Bluefin.

The other company I'm looking at is Remap Kings as they have 5 star reviews across the board, but I think they will be just using a Quantum map (which I'm not that keen on).

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
Having done some more research on Revo, I think I am very unlikely to use it to the potential it's supposed to be used at, so I'm now looking at alternatives.

The one that's caught my eye is the Superchips remap (not the Bluefin)... however, the Superchips reviews are awful.
Has anyone got experience with the remap as 99% of the reviews are based on their customer service or Bluefin.

The other company I'm looking at is Remap Kings as they have 5 star reviews across the board, but I think they will be just using a Quantum map (which I'm not that keen on).

Pretty much all remaps do 30 day money back if you aren't happy with it anyway, just get it and see what you think.

chris_brown

Sep 3, 2020
Just get a tuner to do you a custom remap, it will be cheaper than Revo.
I've looked at (and spoken to) several custom remap companies and they have all said that a stage 1 remap doesn't need to be done on a rolling road as the difference isn't that noticeable vs a stock map.
Plus I live in between London and Oxford, and the nearest custom remap company to me is some considerable distance

CupraTOC

Apr 1, 2015
Doesn't higher octane fuel go hand in hand with a remap to prevent pre detonation and pinking which long term would cause big internal damage?

Also, do we not pay for remaps to gain more performance and driveability from our cars as possible and by not filling up with higher RON fuel defeats the object of paying all that money to get a remap?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Doesn't higher octane fuel go hand in hand with a remap to prevent pre detonation and pinking which long term would cause big internal damage?

Also, do we not pay for remaps to gain more performance and driveability from our cars as possible and by not filling up with higher RON fuel defeats the object of paying all that money to get a remap?
Agree,
like buying expensive suspension - but then sticking budget/ditch finder tyres on!

If the MAP has been developed using 98 RON fuel - then use 98 RON fuel, don't use 95 fuel.
It varies massively by engine - some are down tuned on purpose for marketing reasons - The 1.4 150 isn't - and in stock have been told its better with higher octane fuel, so I wouldn't want to use a tuned version of this engine without high octane fuel.

monkeynuts

TIME FOR BED SAID "Z"
Oct 2, 2003
Area 51
Visit site
Cannot see the point in having a Re-Map unless you go for the top one and just use Tesco 99

Why pay all that money and then say its too fast just adjust your foot and remember its not just the increase in HP its the Torque as well which means better fuel consumption and less gear stick waggling

chris_brown

Sep 3, 2020
Fair point, l will use the Shell V-Power.
So I'm back to the remaps, does anyone have any experience with the Superchips remaps (since they were taken over this year)?

andycupra

status subject to change
there is plenty of use for a remap even with standard premium unleaded 95ron.
you do NOT have to put in super unleaded to see a benefit. Of course using super gives you more room for improvement, but you will still see huge improvement if using premium 95 ron.
my previous cars had switchable maps between 95 and 98 and there was no noticeable difference. the super may allow you to run more aggressive settings, but honestly 95 will still give you 80-90% of the potential gains on a stage 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody_72

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Just get a tuner to do you a custom remap, it will be cheaper than Revo.

99% of "Tuners" in the UK dont do "Custom" they will tell you they do but they dont, especially these man in a van type ones.

There are a few good custom tuners but unless your running a non standard turbo, wastegate etc absolutely no point in getting "custom" for a bog standard car.

the extra £100-200 you pay for REVO,APR,Racingline etc is for R&D and also support and also knowing that you have a map on the car that has been tested thoroughly and not just downloaded from some Eastern European tuner or Chinese tuner who hasn't actually tested it.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.