Road noise

Tigerobe

Feb 20, 2017
Hi guys

A bit of help or reassurance! Just sold my Mk2 fr+ and upgraded to a Mk3 fr 184 tech pack, it's done 40k on the clock, it drives really well but it's so noisy compared to my mk2, also the engine is louder when idle compared to my mk2 even after a good run.

Is the road noise a common thing or could it be to do with the rear tyres that are near their limit? (Continental conti sport contact 3)

Will the engine noise settle down as more miles I put on?

Ang guidance would be appreciated

Thanks

Last edited:

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
My rear tyres (bridgestones) are also near the limit and drone off them is very noticeable.

Seems to be a feature with VW group cars. Both my Fabia and my Ibiza displayed this trait. On one occasion it was so bad I was sure I had a wheel bearing away, yet it was the tyres causing it.

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
I also found the road noise quite prevelant, it seems that it's the main thing you get when invest more in an audi or vw better sound deadening.
The Bridgestones make it worst as they are really loud. Best things to do are either add some sound proofing or buy quieter tyres or both depending on budget

psychobob

Oct 6, 2005
Near Cardiff
Last month I put Eagle F1s (x4) on my 184 and the road noise reduced slightly but is still pretty noisey. I was a little disappointed and will soon be investing in some noise killing foam/mat. The engine is also the same

salsajoe

Apr 12, 2017
Yorkshire
My rear tyres (bridgestones) are also near the limit and drone off them is very noticeable.

Seems to be a feature with VW group cars. Both my Fabia and my Ibiza displayed this trait. On one occasion it was so bad I was sure I had a wheel bearing away, yet it was the tyres causing it.

VW Golf and Scirocco can also suffer the same rear tyre drone from my personal experience so a general VAG problem that sounds like a wheel bearing. In many cases you can feel uneven wear on the inner edge of the rear tyres. Seems to be a tracking problem but can only be sorted with a 4 wheel alignment system such as the Hunter system used by body repair shops for chassis alignment and will set you back £100 minimum.

Stagsfell

Feb 16, 2015
My FR is on Michelin Pilot Primacy and suffers badly from road noise (as did an A3 I previously owned, on the same tyres).

A lot of the roads round my area (North Yorks) have been "surface dressed" ie a load of loose chippings spread over wet tar. Apart from the obvious issues of stone chips (an almost daily occurrence) and tar spots, this gives rise to a drumming noise which almost drowns out the stereo and makes conversation almost impossible.

When I drive on a bit of properly surfaced road (very rare find!) the difference is amazing - almost silent.

perkman1969

Feb 25, 2015
NE England

My Bridgestones on the front are nearly done and there has been a noticeable increase in road noise recently. I put PS4s' on the back a few weeks ago but the noise from the fronts is so loud, I can't tell if they are quieter. Will find out when the fronts are changed shortly...

Jamesb

Mar 26, 2017
Downsize the wheels to 17s from 18s made a big improvement along with sound proofing the boot and around floor

Tass

Mar 8, 2020
Glad to hear that excessive cabin noise can be down to the rear tyres. I've had my Leon a week and I'm noticing how noisy it is at motorway speeds. The majority of the sound seems to come from the rear. Was wondering if my rear door seals were faulty!

The rear tyres look fairly old and are down to the wear markers so fingers crossed it's that

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Glad to hear that excessive cabin noise can be down to the rear tyres. I've had my Leon a week and I'm noticing how noisy it is at motorway speeds. The majority of the sound seems to come from the rear. Was wondering if my rear door seals were faulty!

The rear tyres look fairly old and are down to the wear markers so fingers crossed it's that

Tyres do tend to get noisier as they wear. Also, some brands - even when new - aren’t the quietest, Bridgestones being an example.