road salt and washing!

cupra2007

RCOTY
Jan 7, 2007
rhodes/greece
how bad is for cars the salt they put on the streets to melt the ice?how often do you wash your cars because of it?finally do you have to get the car up and wash it from underneath?cheers!

Last edited:

Gib83

Neeow!!
Mar 3, 2007
Sheffield
Wash the car every week. I agree with Jace, just spray the jet washer under and in the arches to get rid of any salt/mud etc

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
Out of interest the reason that Toyota gave for me needing a new set of alloys on my Celica every spring was due to the salt used on U.K roads.

The alloys started to bubble badly with rust after every winter and each year at least 3 of the alloys were replaced.

I'd recommend washing your car at least once a week if possibly when the roads have been salted, even if it is a quick wash just to get the salt off.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2007
South East London
Out of interest the reason that Toyota gave for me needing a new set of alloys on my Celica every spring was due to the salt used on U.K roads.

The alloys started to bubble badly with rust after every winter and each year at least 3 of the alloys were replaced.

I'd recommend washing your car at least once a week if possibly when the roads have been slated, even if it is a quick wash just to get the salt off.

Now the M4 thats a road that definitely needs slating!!!! :p

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
didnt think this would be a problem in rhodes???

if this is from your trans-european trip i wouldnt worry about it. as long as the car isnt scratched and salt got on the scratch youll be ok.

i wash mine when its warm enough, so between november and april it isnt very often!!!

cupra2007

RCOTY
Jan 7, 2007
rhodes/greece
didnt think this would be a problem in rhodes???

if this is from your trans-european trip i wouldnt worry about it. as long as the car isnt scratched and salt got on the scratch youll be ok.

i wash mine when its warm enough, so between november and april it isnt very often!!!

lol!!in rhodes never :D!the problem is that i washed my car after my trip,twice mind you,but i didn't find the time to get it up and washed it underneath and that's what worries me!in france the day i went to ancona there was a light sign everywhere that said ''salage'' which i believe means salt...:shrug:!but for what reason anyway does the salt make some parts of the car to rust?i know that living by the sea it's not good for your car because of the salt,but why?any chemist among you?:)

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
I think salt accelerates the rusting process

A good article on Wikipedia all about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust

I wouldn't worry too much after one trip to the U.K.

It is usually only poorer quality metals that rust so quickly. Used to be a big problem on U.K built cars in particular but not so bad now.

Certain alloys wheel, (most Toyota/Lexus wheels) rust easily as do brake hubs but I'd have thought your Cupra should be fine...

Thorgen

In Finland we get salt on the roads from October to April and we don't get any problems in our cars because of this. Salt was a problem to cars in the 80´s when they didn't have proper protection and even then the corrosion was a problem to aged cars (10+ years or so). So, even if theoratically speaking Seat would neglect corrosion protection, you still shouldn't be worried about it one bit.

I'm more concerned about grit than salt. Tiny rocks WILL do damage to your car. I bought my previous car new and after three years the front of the car was filled with different sort of marks, some even exposing metal and plastic. Also the windscreen was full of tiny impact marks making driving towards sunset a nightmare to your eyes.