running costs on a Cupra

phil_monk31

Feb 22, 2010
I have only been running my 2nd consumtion meter from when i got the car, (6th Jan) and Mines hanging around the 35MP but I have been doing motorway driving at 65-70MPH. I managed to fill to the brim the other day £80 just after I had done 379 miles from the last tank. Im happy with that. There are many less powerfull car that will do much worse than that :p

mrbubba

Aug 24, 2008
I take it the 2nd consumption recording doesn't reset when the ignition is turned off then?
My 1st consumption reading won't go above 25mpg, but I've only been pottering about, I drive it to work for the 1st time tomorrow and thats a 40 mile round trip

I'm still getting to grips with all the settings and options (only found the folding mirrors by playing about yesterday)

Top Dog

Aug 12, 2011
Wolverhampton
Location does make a big difference, i think im in a C or B category area thieves like to come into my area and steel nice cars! Ive got a clean licence, was quoted £2500 but with my gf came down alot.

Can't believe im paying three times more than others piss's me.

Last edited:

phil_monk31

Feb 22, 2010
I take it the 2nd consumption recording doesn't reset when the ignition is turned off then?
My 1st consumption reading won't go above 25mpg, but I've only been pottering about, I drive it to work for the 1st time tomorrow and thats a 40 mile round trip

I'm still getting to grips with all the settings and options (only found the folding mirrors by playing about yesterday)

Yea the second one will only reset when you tell it too. I drove back from Telford last week and was in a rush so was going a bit faster than before and I managed higher MPG :shrug:

leontdi130

Jan 20, 2008
Euxton (Chorley)
So far can't get it passed 27 MPG and that's with sensible driving!

On what sort of a drive is that. ie. distance, type of roads. You should be able to keep it below 2.5k revs easily on normal driving around and be smooth with the throttle and you should be hitting 30mpg unless your sat in traffic or at a lot of lights. Thats all i do, i don't even think i hit 2k revs untill i get on the motorway when i'm on my drive to work.

Bignod00

Nov 9, 2009
Lincoln/40,000 ft.
This is exactly how I drive. I never rev above 2k until my temp needle hits 90.

+1. I was out defrosting the motor the other morning when my neighbour came out, started his car and floored the accelerator for about 20 seconds! Got in and floored it off down the road! Some people just don't have any mechanical sympathy at all!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

mrbubba

Aug 24, 2008
On what sort of a drive is that. ie. distance, type of roads. You should be able to keep it below 2.5k revs easily on normal driving around and be smooth with the throttle and you should be hitting 30mpg unless your sat in traffic or at a lot of lights. Thats all i do, i don't even think i hit 2k revs untill i get on the motorway when i'm on my drive to work.

Thats a 20 mile journey, mainly up the motorway. When I leave for work, there is very little traffic, I normally sit between 65 and 70 on the motorway and change gear around 2k on the revs.
When I get off the motorway, I hit a few traffic lights and might queue a minute or two in traffic through the town.

I'm not too fussed at the moment, I'll see how many miles I get to a tank and then keep track of it on my phone using Driver Diary (Android application)

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
+1. I was out defrosting the motor the other morning when my neighbour came out, started his car and floored the accelerator for about 20 seconds! Got in and floored it off down the road! Some people just don't have any mechanical sympathy at all!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I hate that more than anything. Someone at work does night shifts so I usually see him in the morning, he has a lush car and gets in it and just hoofs it through the car park. Doesn't even let it warm up for 5 seconds lol.

In regards to running costs, I drove down to Sheffield and back and put in 60 quid before the journey. Managed 33mpg and got 250 miles out of it, still have around 50 miles left apparently (which usually equates to 20 miles lol)

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
not 100% sure on a turbo car but an e46 m3 you can get in and rev to 5500rpm from cold.

im also not sure how much of this dont thrash it until warm is an old wifes tale. like dont drink on antibiotics or do go over 3k on a new engine.

seems a little odd in todays times that companies wouldnt have fixed those issues.

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
not 100% sure on a turbo car but an e46 m3 you can get in and rev to 5500rpm from cold.

im also not sure how much of this dont thrash it until warm is an old wifes tale. like dont drink on antibiotics or do go over 3k on a new engine.

seems a little odd in todays times that companies wouldnt have fixed those issues.

I can see the reason for people preferring their engine to be warm before booting it. Even if it was an n/a car I'd rather let it warm up for a few minutes

Doesn't do any harm does it :shrug:??

leontdi130

Jan 20, 2008
Euxton (Chorley)
oil is thinner when warm so it gets to the places it needs to be faster. And on a turbo car thats even more important as a turbo spins at tens of thousands of rpms. Running in isn't as much of an issue as macheining techniques have improved so much. But as for giving it a boot load from cold you can't combat mechanical wear like that when the oil is still thick! Honda had it right with the likes of the crx which wouln't let you use the vtech till it was warmed up enough.

willc

Mar 2, 2011
By ragging a turbo car from cold you will significantly reduce the life of the turbo. Same goes for letting it cool down. If you thrash it and then just flick it off, the oil will turn to carbon deposits in the oil feed through the turbo.

Any car that you care about should be allowed to be warmed up and not thrashed before turning the engine off.

I personally wont go into boost on my Cupra until the engine temp is close to normal operating temp.

Nov 15, 2011
I find that on my cupra i only do about 26 mpg if i am lucky but havent tried not to drive it like a sports hatch. dont see the point if its made to go fast why you worried about the mpg. its good to save fuel but accept its a thirsty car.

And best decision i ever made to get the cupra.

leoncupra2012

Mar 7, 2012
I purchased a 52 reg cupra with stage 1 remap at weekend, goes like a bat out of hell averages 30mpg, i picked it up 82 miles away, filled the tank near where i got it from, £70 bp ultimate, drove the 82 miles home with some silly antics thrown in, then went out for a 15 mile drive with a friend, drove another 50 miles that night then another 50 that day to see parents there and back, so say ive done 200 mile nearly in mine already, of mixed town, road, motorway, dual carriageway and loon driving ive got just between 1/4 and 1/2 a tank and its showing 110 miles to empty on the computer.. insurance is £80 a month at 26..£143 tax for 6 months, im more than happy with it, got it up to about 38mpg crusin down motorway in 6th at 65 :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.