Running rough - coilpack?

aMs1

Went to AmD today. Shaun was great sorted out the jerking came up as coilpack on vag com. Also I changed the boost setting. Initally I think it was set for 2.5k approx revs and delivered fairly hard n strong was very fast very quick but it wasnt suitedfor central London rush hour driving. Nway Shaun has now set the boost to start at 1.5k revs and delivers all throughout the rev range. I requested it to be set like that as it suits my needs. Nway rrally happy with the product by more importantly the service. Exactly why I choose Amd. Good reputation and great product. If u thinking of a remap go to someone like Amd or similar because if something goes wrong then you know they will help you sort it out. Nway love driving my car really fun now!!!

newbs

Aug 22, 2011
goucester
i thinking i getting the same problem. when the car in neutral & i rev it up it sounds likes it missing & dnt fully rev up..also when driving along & giving it a bit of beans it seem to cough n splutter when in boost range but when its gets to about 5k it pulls right till 7k..is this a coil packs/spark plug failure?

Last edited:

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Could be. Is your Check Engine Light on? Can you get the car checked for fault codes with a scanner or VAGCOM?

Stuart_cupra

Aug 28, 2010
Bromley, Kent
my missus is currently driving home on m23 and she just phoned to say its really jerky and if she tries to go over 60mph it gets really bad, am guessing this could be the sign of the coilpacks going? She has to go back there at 5am tomorrow so no chance of getting it fixed unless the AA carry them, which i think they used to..

jimmyb1985

noticed a few people having spluttering at 5000rpm+ so am i! :( i just read a thread on some other site and they said that the inlet pipe maybe collapsing at high revs, it really does make sense to me.

jimmyb1985

http ://forums. vwvortex. com/showthread.php?5016568-I-need-help-i-cant-rev-past-5k-rpm-1.8t-please-read&p=68407414#post68407414
Theres the thread, its the turbo inlet pipe (what goes to airbox) i know it aint on a seat leon but its basically the same problem i have at the moment, i will let you know more when i get one and fit it, but like i say mine is spluttering just before 5000rpm upwards. if i take my foot off the power then put it back on everything is fine, i thought it was a coilpack or maf at 1st but ive swapped all those parts, and my google search found this so a samco tip is my next thing :) ps you need to remove the spaces for link to work ;)

jimmyb1985

you have to take the spaces out inbetween the first few words, it wont let me post it because i havent posted more than 15 times yet.

Gnollins

Bosh!
Jul 24, 2006
Yarnton, Oxfordshire
Great thread!

My LCR has done 108K miles - this morning it started seriously hesistating under acceleration and the idle is very rough. Seems OK when cruising at constant speed though.

I'm assuming this is classic coil pack failure symptoms?

Klone

Aug 24, 2010
Clacton On Sea
sounds like it boss.

Have the car idling... pull the plug out the back of the injector rail, one injector at a time... if the car nearly dies or stalls that coilpack works. plug back in. move on to the next one.

if you unplug the injector plug, and nothing happens.... that coilpack is dead :)

Gnollins

Bosh!
Jul 24, 2006
Yarnton, Oxfordshire
sounds like it boss.

Have the car idling... pull the plug out the back of the injector rail, one injector at a time... if the car nearly dies or stalls that coilpack works. plug back in. move on to the next one.

if you unplug the injector plug, and nothing happens.... that coilpack is dead :)

Nice one - will do this at lunch time :)

Gnollins

Bosh!
Jul 24, 2006
Yarnton, Oxfordshire
Fixed :D

Went to VW stealer and asked for 06B 905 115 R.

Parts manager said the number had changed (but didn't say what the new number was, and I forgot to ask :redface: ).

£29 + VAT, I bought 4.

Luckily a work colleague has VagCom so we hooked it up and found cylinder 2 misfire - luckily one of the 2 easy to access coils. Changed that for now and will swap the other 3 at the weekend.

Gave it a good revving and a short burst - smooth as silk.

So, another instance where this forum saved me lots of time, hassle and money!

:)

Klone

Aug 24, 2010
Clacton On Sea
nice one :)

makes you feel better when you can fix your own car and not pay the dealer for it doesnt it... the vagcom scan would have been £40 on its own!

Klone

Aug 24, 2010
Clacton On Sea
im the same pal, but after being on here for a while, im going to try more things :)

like my FMIC (when i get it) etc.

but remember that coilpack test if you dont have vagcom ;)

Gnollins

Bosh!
Jul 24, 2006
Yarnton, Oxfordshire
Yeah, was gonna do the "test" but I mentioned VAGCOM at work and someone popped their head up and said "I've got it"! ;-)

I've attempted all sorts of stuff with my LCR after reading this forum. Had the car for over 5 years now so there's been plenty of opportunity to get stuck in :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.