Running rough - coilpack?

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
Just had the car re-mapped and now the car is running rough, my first (and only) thought is that a coil pack has gone but the car is also smelling like a sort of eggy smell, is this still consistent with a coil pack failure? i know that after a remap these are prone to failing but i was not expecting the smell, can anyone help, i ran a check on vag-com but nothing showing.

shauncupra

Jun 19, 2007
Norwich,Norfolk
Firstly unplug each injector seperately whilst the car is running, and see if the engine note changes on idle, if a coil pack has gone it will *not* make any difference to the way the engine is running, so therfore the coil pack in front of that injector is faulty/failed ., or this might sound strange but pop all four coil packs out and sniff them, one should smell like its burnt out, thats if its the coil packs!

Anyway see if that helps cos thats exactly what happened to mine just after a remap earlier this month and since then its happened twice

Last edited:

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
When is it running rough, Phil?

All the time now, it was fine all day then i went out, and after a couple of minutes it started to run rough its just like its lost a cylinder but has the smell, i switched it off but it was the same when i restarted it.

thought he eggy smell was symptoms of a dodgy cat?

thats what i thought, but didn't think it would cause the engine would run like it is.

Last edited:

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
Yeah i am going to get some tomorrow, i will replace all four, any suggestions as to the best place to get them and which one's, i went to my local Motor shop and they where the same price as the steelers for non oe, i have a price from Dave at sere but i need them for friday morning to get to cholmondeley!!

s4oopie

Boost Junkie
Jul 9, 2009
the car wash ;)
could be coil pack m8 causing over fueling then the cat may give off eggy smell due to the fuel burning in there ... hope you get it sorted soon

Snoop[B)]

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Should be an easy job to change the coilpacks on yours being as your N249 resovoir has gone
If you do buy non OE ones let me know what they are like as i think a spare one is a handy item to have

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
Few questions

I have the juddering, burning and egg smell, but also have ecu light flashing
car is done 55. And not had issue before

does it sound like coil pack?

If so are there any guides to replacing

and what are the aftermarket ones like ... Cost too if poss

anyone know gsf prices?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members