RVC reversing camera installed

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Guys, what does 'video feed' mean? These are not regular video jacks?
So, the video should go out from camera in some format or be converted afterwards by some converter? Will smb explain me that?

Video feed is the output of the picture from the camera. Live image if you like. It's a two pole connection the wire is modified to fit the connection block on the headunit. The headunit converts this to an image on the screen :)

kurylo

May 18, 2015
Video feed is the output of the picture from the camera.
Let me clear that out just to be 100% sure - is that a regular analog video signal? Or it is altered somehow, or has some particular, or maybe even digital format?
By a regular analog signal I mean something like this: tmart.com/pgallery/E301-Type-Color-CMOS-CCD-Car-Rear-View-Camera_7_p109181.html
Did I understand correctly that this is the same wire as on the screenshot, but just with a modified connector to fit the head unit? So any analog video camera will fit there?

Last edited:

kurylo

May 18, 2015
Oh, and also I have several other questions:
- how do I detach the head unit (I mean cd player with all the 'brains') go get access to connectors?
- is it possible to code the car to use the camera prior to the camera installation? (I have a person who has a VCDS coder, and I want him to do the coding, and afterwards during the weekend I will attach the test camera directly to the head unit without running the cables and see if it works)...

Last edited:

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Let me clear that out just to be 100% sure - is that a regular analog video signal? Or it is altered somehow, or has some particular, or maybe even digital format?
By a regular analog signal I mean something like this: tmart.com/pgallery/E301-Type-Color-CMOS-CCD-Car-Rear-View-Camera_7_p109181.html
Did I understand correctly that this is the same wire as on the screenshot, but just with a modified connector to fit the head unit? So any analog video camera will fit there?

Not sure, beyond my knowledge.

Look at reply no.17 on page 1. This explains the plug and connectors that need to be modified.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Oh, and also I have several other questions:
- how do I detach the head unit (I mean cd player with all the 'brains') go get access to connectors?
- is it possible to code the car to use the camera prior to the camera installation? (I have a person who has a VCDS coder, and I want him to do the coding, and afterwards during the weekend I will attach the test camera directly to the head unit without running the cables and see if it works)...

You need removal keys. Available from a dealer or halfords for less than a fiver. Known as european keys
Not sure if you can code without the camera but yes needs coding, this is explained on the previous page pages. Read through it all and it may help.

There is a video on you tube for a mk7 golf, it's identical.

I'm yet to get mine coded but have done the connection on the headunit/brain unit and have power to the camera temporarily to test once coded before i commit to taking half the car apart!

Last edited:

kurylo

May 18, 2015
Sorry, are these amazon.co.uk/Audi-Headunit-Removal-Symphony-Navigation/dp/B0090QMMJC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1B7QV7XHFANP75MPC2WH the keys I need?
And another question: where does the power to the cam should be taken from? For other head units I know that the camera is attached to the reverse lights, so that when smb. sets a reverse gear, the camera is automatically turned on, and the head unit detects the incoming signal, showing it as the top priority source. But for VAG I'm not sure that this is the same case... Is the principle the same or the camera should be powered from another source?

Last edited:

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
These keys

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004UAFCTA/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_1?qid=1436558353&sr=8-1-fkmr0&pi=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=Golf+mk7+headunit+removal+keys

and this is the guide on a golf. Wires can be tight at the rear and you can easy damage around where the unit slips in while you fiddle with the connectors.

https://youtu.be/KMJ91jSBt9Y

The instructions for my camera say to use the reverse light power, the camera then turns on when required. The person i purchased it from second hand (forum member) used the live from a rear 12v socket as it was a ST estate model.

Last edited:

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Sorry, are these amazon.co.uk/Audi-Headunit-Removal-Symphony-Navigation/dp/B0090QMMJC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1B7QV7XHFANP75MPC2WH the keys I need?
And another question: where does the power to the cam should be taken from? For other head units I know that the camera is attached to the reverse lights, so that when smb. sets a reverse gear, the camera is automatically turned on, and the head unit detects the incoming signal, showing it as the top priority source. But for VAG I'm not sure that this is the same case... Is the principle the same or the camera should be powered from another source?

You can code the camera up before you fit it, I did, but only because I was looking for things to switch on with my new vcds before I got the camera :D
if your paying someone to activate it I'd fit the camera first then get you guy to activate it in case of any problems it could save you a second visit/cost.

You'll find the reversing cables for hooking into for the power supply for the camera in the nearside rear wheel arch behind the interior trim, if you do a search on here you'll find a excellent write up by another member who fitted Cobra rear parking sensors - uses reversing light cable- , his write up with pictures shows the cable colour you need too connect into and how to remove the trim panels

Last edited:

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
You'll find the reversing cables for hooking into for the power supply for the camera in the nearside rear wheel arch behind the interior trim, if you do a search on here you'll find a excellent write up by another member who fitted Cobra rear parking sensors - uses reversing light cable- , his write up with pictures shows the cable colour you need too connect into and how to remove the trim panels

Excellent info, thanks. I was assuming either the wire where close to the bulb or find the feed for the paeking sensors. Either way sounds good.

kurylo

May 18, 2015
Did anyone happen to find the thread about finding the wires, the needed color and trim panels removal?

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Got my RVC switched on today

Here is a couple of pictures, the camera is on the dash showing the sky but you ger the idea. (Now need to fit the camera!!!)

20150726_190433_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20150726_190416.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

kurylo

May 18, 2015
Can anyone tell anything about the flexible parking guideline that follows the wheel rotation? Is it doable? Should there be some specific camera, some additional block, or it's just a coding issue?

Last edited:

Ocularis

Jan 2, 2015
Northampton
Gotta say, after getting yours working yesterday I'm temped to do the same install myself - it worked rather well I thought. Just wouldnt look forward to drilling holes in my beloved car!

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Can anyone tell anything about the flexible parking guideline that follows the wheel rotation? Is it doable? Should there be some specific camera, some additional block, or it's just a coding issue?

Do you mean like the photos in post #2 or video in #31?

There is an option on camera for guide lines (by cutting a wire), but unsure if they curve, like the lines on the OPS curve already.

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
Gotta say, after getting yours working yesterday I'm temped to do the same install myself - it worked rather well I thought. Just wouldnt look forward to drilling holes in my beloved car!

You could always buy one of those cameras that replace one of the numberplate lights. Then you don't have to drill anything!

kurylo

May 18, 2015
Do you mean like the photos in post #2 or video in #31?
There is an option on camera for guide lines (by cutting a wire), but unsure if they curve, like the lines on the OPS curve already.
Yes, but those are static - independent from the wheel rotation. And I've seen the same as in the OPS parking sensors - you rotate the wheel, and those lines curve showing the place the car would go on the camera image itself.

UT8dcTxXnNXXXagOFbXd.jpg

Last edited:

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Not to sure on that one Kurylo. Seen it on VAG cars or SEAT specifically? Maybe someone know :)

Last edited: