RVC reversing camera installed

car-help-uk

Returning old timer
Oct 10, 2013
Berks, uk
We'll there was finally enough of a break in the weather to get the reversing camera installed and it works really well, hopefully it may save the wife revering into things :p
I will post a couple of pics when I figure out how

Reactions: Mystery290

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
Looks great, what work was involved to install it? Plug it into the media system and VCDS coding?

labmousee

Geek
Dec 22, 2013
Israel
We'll there was finally enough of a break in the weather to get the reversing camera installed and it works really well, hopefully it may save the wife revering into things :p
I will post a couple of pics when I figure out how

Where did you get the camera from? What's the model?

Looks great, what work was involved to install it? Plug it into the media system and VCDS coding?

I second that question :)

car-help-uk

Returning old timer
Oct 10, 2013
Berks, uk

Quite a simple job really the hardest part was running the cable the from from to rear.
Coding took me a while to work out but now i know what is neeeded is it simple for others to fallow.
I ordered a camera from a well known VAG modding agent then sent it back once it had arrived (£359 vs £89) as i could get it at 1/5th of the price from ebay.

labmousee

Geek
Dec 22, 2013
Israel
Quite a simple job really the hardest part was running the cable the from from to rear.
Coding took me a while to work out but now i know what is neeeded is it simple for others to fallow.
I ordered a camera from a well known VAG modding agent then sent it back once it had arrived (£359 vs £89) as i could get it at 1/5th of the price from ebay.

Can you please post a link to the one you got from ebay?
Some installation tips and codding instruction would be highly appreciated ;)

car-help-uk

Returning old timer
Oct 10, 2013
Berks, uk
Where did you get the camera from? What's the model?

I second that question :)

Camera with in-built controller is:

KCL801-NTSC made by AMPIRE

simple search will bring stand camera up then you will need a repair wire from a vw agent to add pins into media plug

labmousee

Geek
Dec 22, 2013
Israel
Camera with in-built controller is:

KCL801-NTSC made by AMPIRE

simple search will bring stand camera up then you will need a repair wire from a vw agent to add pins into media plug

Thanks! But, what do you mean by a repair wire? Is it something I can get on ebay as well? Not sure the my VW will be able to supply me with one...

car-help-uk

Returning old timer
Oct 10, 2013
Berks, uk
Thanks! But, what do you mean by a repair wire? Is it something I can get on ebay as well? Not sure the my VW will be able to supply me with one...

The large plastic housing (plug) the goes into the media system contains all the pins for different uses. A repair wire has two pins (1 each end) to add the additional pins into the housing.( not very well explained i will look for some pics to make it clearer ).

car-help-uk

Returning old timer
Oct 10, 2013
Berks, uk
So if I understand correctly, you get the video input as a background for the OPS that you already had installed in the car?

Are any of the drawings shown are related to the camera or the camera is just the plain background?

Correct. i have the fr with ops, when i put it in reverse the background becomes video image the the ops to the left (this can be changed back to just ops if wanted). The camera wiring comes with 2 bridges :
option 1 cut bridge wire image is mirrored
option 2 : cut wire guideance lines turned off.
as standard guidance lines on (fixed not moving)

car-help-uk

Returning old timer
Oct 10, 2013
Berks, uk
Image of quadlock plug (rear of media unit)
quadlockplug_zpsb944ca25.jpg

Blue plug removed from quadlock plug

quadlockplugblue_zps77bbff77.jpg

Repair wire image of pin end (enlarged)

quadlockpin_zpsa5d4b012.jpg

I hope these work!!!!

quadlockrepairwires_zps80d77d5b.jpg

Last edited:

roger7248

Sep 28, 2013
Bicester, Oxon
Sorry car-help, but you have taken the path of the uncommunicative expert rather than the helpful teacher.

I appreciate the job has already been done so pictures might be a bit of a bore, but could you do a simple "how to" step by step, including screen removal, plug adaptions, bridging (whatever that is) etc. And the sourcing of the repair wire.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mystery290

labmousee

Geek
Dec 22, 2013
Israel
Wow, these repair wires are expansive!
I agree with roger7248, it would be very good to have a step, by step guide. It will be a great contribution to this forum.

Btw, why did you choose this specific camera?

car-help-uk

Returning old timer
Oct 10, 2013
Berks, uk
OK, I was trying to keep things simple but have managed to make things very confusing (as usual).
I don't have all pics as it was raining when i did it so have stolen some images from the net.

The reason i chose this camera as i know it to be compatable as NTSC with in-built controller and guidance lines (i'm sure others will work, maybe a camera for a scirocco or transporter van etc.)

To do an instal you only need 1 repair wire (double-ended) that can be cut in half.

This camera comes with:
Standard Yellow rca cable
A small loom to provide power including 2 loops of wire that can be cut if required for different functions).
camerapic_zps9b8d7da1.jpg

The yellow RCA cable needs to be modified as there is nowhere to plug it in to the media unit, or an adaptor lead made. What i did was took 1 end and cut it off leaving the yellow core wire and the braided shield.
Attach the yellow core wire to 1 half of the repair wire and attached the braided shield to the other half of the repair wire so you now have 2 ends:
IMG_0134_zps76d2b433.jpg

These pins need to be placed in the quadlock plug in the rear of the media unit (the blue plug needs to be un-clipped from the quadlock then unclipped to insert the pins)
quadlockplug_zpsb944ca25.jpg

quadlockplugblue_zps77bbff77.jpg

yellow core wire (video source) pin 6 of the blue plug
Screen wire (earth) pin 12 of the blue plug

This wire with the power cable, will now need running down full leghth of the car to the camera.

to be contiued....

Last edited:

DreadnoughtPt

Dec 3, 2013
Really nice mod mate :)

Quite interested in doing this one myself, so I'll be following this topic closely.

Many thanks for sharing ;)

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members