Sach Sintered Paddle Clutch Review

stebbi

Got Boost???
Jun 10, 2008
Preston
1 Word...WOW!

This is one fantastic bit of kit!
Rated to 480lbft it is never going to slip on any of our cars no matter what we throw at it, some garages said it was a bit of overkill going for such an uprated clutch but jesus it makes such a difference.

Previously I had the organic clutch kit from Sach which was rated to 380lbft - the limit when on a hybrid TDI.
This lasted 2.5years which isnt aslong as i would have liked but it did serve well considering.

The problem I has was that my gearbox dropped gears 1 and 2 so i went off and got that refurbed, soon realising that the whole clutch system would need doing soon after. because of damage the gearbox had done.

Its got a lower biting point than the organic plate
Its suprisingly lighter than the organic
not that snatchy as most people say paddle clutches can be, just a case of getting used to it i guess
will never slip unless its well and truely dead

Im just suprised as to how much faster the car now feels, its made a world of difference!

Price may be a bit steep but of those getting a new clutch will know most places for the Sach are around 1k anyway.

I paid:
DMF and slave cylinder - £240 - Eurocarparts
Sach Sindered friction plate - £305 - Awesome GTI
Sach Uprated Pressure Plate - £286 - Awesome GTI
Fitting - £200

Didnt want to replace the pressure plate initially but it had cracks all over it from the heat off the organic had buggered it when slipping, same story crackwise with the DMF if not worse.

Overall I'd highly recommend it.
And anyone from the Preston area if they want to see how heavy it is they are more than welcome to see for themselves.

Hope this helps some people make up their minds and prevents the already stupid amout of 'which clutch should i get' topics

Great bit of kit

stebbi

Got Boost???
Jun 10, 2008
Preston
Its very impressive.

Once its bedded in properly its supposedly going to become slightly heavier but I cant see it getting a lot heavier than it is now.
Probs going to cover about 250miles for the bedding in before i put my foot down a bit :D

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
Sounds like a great improvement.

When you originally fitted your Sachs organic clutch plate, did you chang anything else? Did you keep your DMF?

Cheers,

Craig

stebbi

Got Boost???
Jun 10, 2008
Preston
it still had the original DMF, so at 70k it was worth while replacing, espec after seeing how bad it had got today, loads of little cracks on the surface.

mind it is always advised to change the fly when the clutch is done,so I just went the whole hog and got everything done for piece of mind :D

stebbi

Got Boost???
Jun 10, 2008
Preston
Just wanted to say its covered a few hundred miles now and its perfect! not heavy, not snappy, alright in traffic.

and i can accelerate in 5th and 6th!

fantastic stuff

stebbi

Got Boost???
Jun 10, 2008
Preston
Traffic is fine, there is a very little judder when setting off in 1st like at lights which is common on paddle clutches, apart from that its exactly the same as any other clutch.
I dont want the thought of a judder to put anyone off as its not noticable really. Just being as open as i can be about it.
If your rolling there is no judder its just when stopped.

changing gear its exactly the same as any other clutch.

I've not given it any very hard changes as i dont drive like that but im 2000% it'd take them without any issues.

I think mines pretty much bedded in properly now.

Initially i was put off a bit with some old paddle clutch horror stories but its bob on.

Jan 28, 2009
Glasgow
hmmm very intersing and thank yhou very much for sharing the info! i was originally going to go for sachs DMF, standard cover and just a helix paddle clutch plate...but having second thoughts. a few people have said that the standard cover is good, and when you do a clutch upgrade buy new standard parts but only upgrade the clutch plate, as the DMF and cover are fine? what do you think?

stebbi

Got Boost???
Jun 10, 2008
Preston
i'd definatly get an uprated cover aswel, better safe than sorry and all that, its designed to go with the friction plate for a reason.

standard dmf will be fine as thats what i've got. how much would the helix paddle have cost?
My mate has the helix 5-puck paddle in his ST and he gave the impression it was a little more snatchy than my 4-puck (4-puck / 5-puck refering to how many paddles the plate has) unsure as to why though.

stebbi

Got Boost???
Jun 10, 2008
Preston
Pretty much the same price as mine then.

I only stuck with Sachs as i wasnt initially wanting to replace the cover but had to in the end.
Recon you'll be going with the helix?

andypandypoos

Rodeo Monkey
Feb 14, 2009
Cowley, Oxford
just had the Sachs organic clutch replaced with a Sachs paddle clutch as the organic plate had died, you can feel it's uprated but it feels good and I reckon the adjustment period is going to be real short

boxr007

Its very impressive.

Once its bedded in properly its supposedly going to become slightly heavier but I cant see it getting a lot heavier than it is now.
Probs going to cover about 250miles for the bedding in before i put my foot down a bit :D

Hey! that sounds like and impressive vehicle :) i have the same clutch kit in my car too. once it bedded in, it has developed a new noise. it doesnt sound as if somethings wrong, as it sounds almost like it is suppose to be there. However, I am just wondering whether there could be something wrong?? Its like a...rrrrrr sound lol. Sorry theres no other way I could describe it! Please can you let me know if yours has developed a similar noise and if I should get it checked.

Thanks,
Mo.

knackerdecobre

Thought I would bump this thread, now you should of fully bedded it in, is the opinion still the same?

P2ULW

Nov 7, 2009
Ballymena, Northern Ireland
Guys, Had a paddle clutch and new flywheel installed last week. Seems ok, the judder is noticeable pulling away but is definitely tolerable.

Quick question though. I'd swear it is slipping ever so slightly in 6th around 2.5k rpm. Is this to be expected (only 150 mile on it or so since installed).

Also is there any bedding in procedure required? Guy who installed it said he'd done 20 miles in it to try to bed it in but maybe it requires more?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members