Sad story and word of caution

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Anyone around the Crewe, Sandbach area. I had an accident yesterday. I’m okay. The car is not. There is a huge defect on Clay Lane, Sandbach. No signs, nothing. It doesn’t look like much of a dip from the photos, but just look at the scratches in the road. Almost every vehicle (bar large trucks and SUVs) scratched their bumpers there. By the time I saw the dip I had very very little time to react. I was not speeding. I was doing national speed limit on a country lane. Luckily I have dash cam footage. If anyone wants to see it, let me know. I will be claiming for damages from the council. Avoid 😔😡

D509B159-0402-4C72-A355-30FEB8420CC7.jpeg

3F84DA47-7A04-42B9-8881-7D985995D989.jpeg
14FC21C4-3C05-4D87-BA63-624E813F4904.jpeg
A03221F9-939B-43DE-9C46-4D68B764BCB4.jpeg
3B9883B3-A8CA-49BE-A312-0A5307B480E3.jpeg
B7646268-A579-4684-88CC-A7F835D1C61C.jpeg
90A7BE4A-FD0C-43E7-98A1-66737B44F620.jpeg

Last edited:

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
That sucks! what damage do you think it's done?

Wait for the council response of "oh did you not see that cone we put left there 3 years ago to warn drivers", anyway to save themselves

That's some epic scrapes from cars hitting both sides!

You're ok which is the main thing.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
I think it’s cosmetic on the front bumper, and underneath, perhaps radiator may have been knocked and coolants leaked? Possible damage to suspension too after the airtime and landing…

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Glad you’re OK @H Rafiq and the car can be fixed; it just looks a little sad though 🙁.

That piece of road is shocking. If the local council can’t be bothered to sort it out, then IMHO at least there should be prominent signage to warn people of the hazard and to slow down.

Good luck with your claim against the council fingers crossed for you 🤞 - be aware that in situations such as this, they’ll be in no hurry to settle up and it may take many months before you’re compensated.

Reactions: H Rafiq

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Glad you’re OK @H Rafiq and the car can be fixed; it just looks a little sad though 🙁.

That piece of road is shocking. If the local council can’t be bothered to sort it out, then IMHO at least there should be prominent signage to warn people of the hazard and to slow down.

Good luck with your claim against the council fingers crossed for you 🤞 - be aware that in situations such as this, they’ll be in no hurry to settle up and it may take many months before you’re compensated.
And, if no-one has previoulsy reported it on "FixMyStreet" or whatever platform the local council uses, they'll say they were unaware of the defect and so are not (in law) liable, which is, unfortunately, correct.

Reactions: Butty

MDBB152

Apr 29, 2022
That’s bad luck mate - good luck getting it sorted, make sure you’re a proper pain in the backside to the council as others have said they’ll no doubt be taking their time.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
I don’t see how the council could wriggle out of it, it I know they’ll give it a damn good go. I won’t be letting this go.

Reactions: MDBB152

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Very glad to hear you're Ok, an experience like that can be pretty traumatic. Hope you get the council to pay up because that's just a ridiculous "dip" on a national limit road. When it's so obvious that other, perhaps less "savvy" people with less interest in their car, have also suffered from it and maybe not realized until later, maybe when the car has gone in for a service, that they have suffered damage, it beggars belief that the authorities won't know about it? Good luck.

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
That’s bad a biker wouldn’t of been so lucky. Glad your ok and definitely sucks about the car but luckily it didn’t crack the sump and seize your engine or worse go into incoming traffic. This could have been a horrific scene so glad you and whoever was in the car is safe and unharmed. Hope you get this sorted asap mate.

Reactions: Crossthreaded

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
, it beggars belief that the authorities won't know about it? Good luck.
And how would they know unless it's been reported? They don't have the money or resources to travel every inch of every road checking for possible faults, especially minor roads like that one.

And I just checked - there are still no reports on FixMyStreet on Clay lane, the only nearby defect having been fixed in April (on Kents Freen Lane). As such the Council will be most unlikely to be held responsible for the damage - it may not have been that way in the past, but thats the way it is these days.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
And how would they know unless it's been reported? They don't have the money or resources to travel every inch of every road checking for possible faults, especially minor roads like that one.

And I just checked - there are still no reports on FixMyStreet on Clay lane, the only nearby defect having been fixed in April (on Kents Freen Lane). As such the Council will be most unlikely to be held responsible for the damage - it may not have been that way in the past, but thats the way it is these days.
I bet they’ve seen/heard about it on social media etc. But not formally been reported to them. I reported it to Cheshire East Council on 15th September.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Update: car has been fully repaired. Work carried out:
SUSPENSION FIXING SUSPENSION FIXING SUSPENSION FIXING SUSPENSION FIXING SUSPENSION FIXING SUSPENSION FIXING SUSPENSION FIXING SUSPENSION FIXING FRONT BUMPER
L.F OUT BUMPER BRKT R.F OUT BUMPER BRKT R.F W.HOUSE FRT CVR R.F WHEELHOUSE COVER LOWER SPOILER
ENGINE PROTECTION RADIATOR CONDENSER INTERCOOLER
FRT BUMPER SUPPORT AIR GUIDE LID
L.AIR GUIDE PANEL L.F AIR DUCT
CTR FRT AIR CHANNEL R.F WHEEL
R.F SHOCK ABSORBER L.LWR RADIATOR BRKT R.LWR RADIATOR BRKT. L.UPP RADIATOR BRKT R.UPP RADIATOR BRKT EXPANSION TANK
FRT CTR BUMPER TRIM L.LWR HEADLAMP BRKT R.LWR HEADLAMP BRKT. CHECK FAN MOTOR SHROUD CHECK INITIAL SYSTEM SCAN CHECK FINAL SYSTEM SCAN CHECK AND ROAD TEST CHECK UNDERSIDE.
FRT BUMPER SUPPORT SURFACE PAINT
FRONT BUMPER NEW PART PAINT K1R
FRT TOWING EYE COVER SURFACE PAINT PLAST.

Total cost: £4,715.34.

• Wow
Reactions: jcbmally and Bear

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
They have went to town on that.

If you were to fix yourself you would throw a rad on it and clip the bumper back in 🤣

• Haha

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Update 2: The bumper was left like this, and there’s a clunking when starting off and slowing down. Thinking it’s the engine mounts.

0FEED4C4-DB20-44B2-B503-18CAD869CC16.jpeg

47E4823C-B3C5-4842-A4D9-B650803B5E42.jpeg

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
I'll agree, that bumper to wing shut line is a tad scruffy , but I can't quite work it out - what are we looking at in the 2nd photo?

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
The second photo is another angle of the bumper, looking from the drivers door forward to the front of the car. It was fine when I left the shop, then that was how it was when I got home. Went back today. They’re sorting it out.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
The second photo is another angle of the bumper, looking from the drivers door forward to the front of the car.
Gotcha(y)
I was going to say this shutline looks a bit off, but in your other photos it looks OK, so obviously just the angle the picture was taken at.
wing.jpg

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Update 3: the garage broke the grill while trying to repair the front bumper. So delay again. These things happen they said 😡

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members